General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for a new guy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:18 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

A lot of people get a Sportster as their first Harley..and then a few weeks or months later...wish they had gotten a bigger bike..and they'll move up a size. You may be skipping that step. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:19 AM
rockerZ71
Advanced

I was going to buy a brand new wide glide at the dealer but let people convince me to get a cheaper used bike for my first one because I'd drop it. Ended up with a '93 fxdwg with a dented tank so I wouldn't care when I mess it up, but I haven't dropped it or had any close calls. Its easy to ride. I'd say go for the bike you want.

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:20 AM
DMas
Road Master

Originally Posted by MyName1sMud
Yeah mine will be more of around the town riding.

to and from work
joy ride
very rare road trips
In that case Dyna is a great choice IMO. Lots of good choices on the used market, too.

Old 08-06-2012 | 11:57 AM
swampfox_csa
Tourer

I live in the city and as said already in here, they're great for around town. Dodging pedestrians, cabbies and Wanda Sue on her cell phone.... I'm glad they're easy to throw around. Having said that, I'm 55 and have done plenty of 8 to 10 hour rides, both highway and rural. As much as long rides are about the bike's configuration, they're also about how you've set it up and what your body can take.

Whatever you get, have fun with her.

Old 08-06-2012 | 12:07 PM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior

Over 80k miles on mine and ride it everywhere. Dyna's are not just for around town, go for it.

Old 08-06-2012 | 12:07 PM
MyName1sMud
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies.

I've thought about getting a "smaller" bike for my first bike... I just don't like the idea that you can't hear them. That's one of my favorite things about the bigger Harleys is that you can here them coming a lot easier.

Sure that doesn't stop stupid drivers from causing you problems.... but at least it gives the ones that do pay attention the heads up that there is a bike around.

Old 08-06-2012 | 12:19 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MyName1sMud
Thanks for all the replies.

I've thought about getting a "smaller" bike for my first bike... I just don't like the idea that you can't hear them. That's one of my favorite things about the bigger Harleys is that you can here them coming a lot easier.
That's mostly up to the pipes...not the size of the bike. Plenty of ear shattering Sporty's around.

Old 08-06-2012 | 12:30 PM
MyName1sMud
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
That's mostly up to the pipes...not the size of the bike. Plenty of ear shattering Sporty's around.
I was meaning the 250cc class of bikes.

Old 08-06-2012 | 12:35 PM
mwswarrior
Cruiser

Same background with dirt bikes but no on road riding. Bought a new FXDF in '08 and haven't looked back.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:05 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain

It had been about thirty years since I had ridden when I got my Wide Glide about two years ago. I wanted a larger bike with power for two-up riding when the time came. I took a Basic MSF course on their bike and then the Experienced Riders Course on my Wide Glide. I slightly modified the bike to suit me. It was a bit intimidating, especially at first. The Basic MSF class helped improve my confidence with slower speed handling.

In February, I traded for a new Street Glide for the six speed transmission, EFI and more comfort for the missus when she goes along.

I enjoyed my Wide Glide, but am enjoying my Street Glide too.

Find one that suits you and perhaps grow into.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Dyna for a new guy?