Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northwest Motorcycle School

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 AM
BJRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northwest Motorcycle School

I took a course from this school last June. It was an extensive, 42 hour class that covered everything from slow speed manuevering, gray area clutch work, lock turns, proper "Head/Eye, emergency braking, countersteering and much more. The instructor is a former motorcycle cop who was trained other officers in the area. The school encourages you to use their bikes (retired Police Kawasaki 1000's ) so you push yourself. They tell you that you will drop the bike and it is true. I dropped the bike twice during the slow speed training and once at about 30mph working on some countersteering manuevers (never, ever touch the front brake when countersteering!!!!). They require you to wear appropriate gear and thankfully the only thing that got hurt was my pride & gloves. To pass the course, you have to complete 3 tests. The first one requires you to negotiate thru 12 obstacles (figure 8, keyhole, sickle, weave, etc) within 3 1/2 minutes. Every cone you hit is a 10 second deduction. The 2nd test is emergency braking where you have to accelerate to 40 mph and stop within 60 feet without locking the front brakes. After you stop, you have to complete an escape manuever. The 3rd test is a countersteering excersise where you have to maintain a constant speed (the instructor is clocking you on a radar gun) and complete 6 countersteering manuevers. Wow!!! I was exhausted by the end of the last day but it felt soooooo good. I came away from this class with so much more confidence. Towards the end we were messing around and doing 3 bikes at once inside a figure 8, two inside a keyhole, etc. I am sure this is like Jerry's "Ride Like a Pro" class. I have Jerry's DVD and I watch it on regular basis just to keep thing's fresh. The school only takes 5 to 6 riders per class and this year they are offering only 5 classes. There were 2 members in the class I took that were from out of the area. One from California and the other from Canada. I went back to see the instructors a couple of months later and everyone in the class was from out of state.It is so important that we keep our skills sharp. On a regular basis I will head to my favorite parking lot and practice my slow speed manuevers, braking, countersteering, etc. This takes only 10 minutes but it keeps my head in the game. Here is the link to the Northwest Motorcycle School http://www.northwest-motorcycle.com/index.htm Keep Safe, Stay Vigilant and "Live to Ride"

Old 01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Northwest Motorcycle School

I was told about countersteering, I've rode since 1964, Ive also rode dirt bikes. The counter steering thing is not in the books for me. It's hard for me to push the hanle bars to the right while making a left hand turn. It feel's like the front wheel is going to fold under the bike. I talked to my long time riding buddy about counter steering. He said the only time he moves the handle bars is when he's going real slow like me. He can't force himself either to counter steer. So I guess from what you've learned how to counter steer, I learned in leaning the bike. Think those schools would mess our mind up trying to listen to the instructor at our age. We've developed our own riding skills since were kids. Can't see why I need to do figure 8's and maneuver threw cones. I rode a bicycle when I was a kid and did stuff like that. I rode a dirt bike and did things and jumps and everything. But doing my Harley like that , don't think so. If I'm in an emergency, I will do what comes natural. Like riding the bike.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 AM
BJRider
Intermediate

Obviously you have to do what feels comfortable for you. I have used the slow speed skills I learned in many situations. Traffic Jams, crowded parking lots, rallys, etc.. Believe it or not, you countersteer all the time. If I am going over 15 mph I will countersteer to get leaned over to negotiate a turn. Push the handlebar with you right hand, lean right, go right. If a pothole all of thesudden appears out of no where, then you will push hard to the right or left and the action is so quick, you can't believe it. Search the forum sight about countersteering and you will get many perspectives. Mine is just one.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

ive been through the 80 hour Northwestern U. police m/c course. i loved it and use those skills every day.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:48 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

ive been through the 80 hour Northwestern U. police m/c course. i loved it and use those skills every day.

I've been thru it. I use the skills every time I ride, also. However, I wouldn't say I loved the course. It was a tough and painful two-weeks.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

I was told about countersteering, I've rode since 1964, Ive also rode dirt bikes. The counter steering thing is not in the books for me. It's hard for me to push the hanle bars to the right while making a left hand turn. It feel's like the front wheel is going to fold under the bike. I talked to my long time riding buddy about counter steering. He said the only time he moves the handle bars is when he's going real slow like me. He can't force himself either to counter steer. So I guess from what you've learned how to counter steer, I learned in leaning the bike. Think those schools would mess our mind up trying to listen to the instructor at our age. We've developed our own riding skills since were kids. Can't see why I need to do figure 8's and maneuver threw cones. I rode a bicycle when I was a kid and did stuff like that. I rode a dirt bike and did things and jumps and everything. But doing my Harley like that , don't think so. If I'm in an emergency, I will do what comes natural. Like riding the bike.
Counter steering seems to be as mysterious to some as the Bermuda Triangle. You might not know it but you already countersteer. Once you are beyond parking lot speeds where you are physically turning the handle bars and pointing the front tire in the direction you want to go, you are countersteering. Any one who goes other than a straight line when traveling at roadway speeds is countersteering for cripes sakes. If you didn't, you'd go straight into whatever obstacle was infront of you. It's the only way you can turn.

The only mystery about counter steering is REALIZING that you're doing it. Whether you want toconsider it pushing on the lower bar or pulling on the upper bar you're accomplishing the same thing. It's called countersteeriing !!!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 AM
bosnmate
Banned

I think some people get confused with the terminology. Some use the word "leaning" the bike, which is counter steering, look right, push right, go right versus look right, lean right, go right.

The "Leaners" are probably thinking a low speed manuevering, where you might turn the wheel to the left, but lean the bike to the right.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
BJRider
Intermediate

I remember the 1st couple hours of the class watching our instructor going thru the excersises. It was a thing of beauty or what I would call the rider version of "Dancing with the Stars". His bike was his dance partner and he guided it effortlessly. By the end of the class I also felt that connection wtih my bike although I think I still have "Two Left Feet". Ditto on all the stuff on countersteering. When you are first introduced to countersteering your natural reaction is "That's impossible!!!". But then you realize it is a natural phenomen and when you actually start focusing on it, your cornering is much smoother.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to take a course like this, butI do not want to dump my new Sporty and don't have a $1000 to use theirs! Guess I'll do some research and practice in the parking lots.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:51 PM
BJRider
Intermediate

Dave,

Have you seen the thread on the Ride Like A Pro dvd www.ridelikeapro.com . This is a great dvd if you're looking for some good techniques to practice. This would be a good place to start. Jerry Palladino, theRideLikeA Pro instructoralso has other dvd's available including one addressing Street hazards, etc.