General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheeldock EZUP centerstand..dissappointing customer service.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought mine used so I figured I wouldn't have a warranty anyway but I wondered about that skinny little lever. Guess I was right. I'm still going to continue using it the way I have because I bet if it's going to fail it would have already. I put my bike up with 5/8 inch piece of plywood under the stand all the time. I also bet the one that failed for the OP was not hardened properly meaning it should have been covered under their warranty. So this sucks. I guess if mine ever fails I certainly will not be buying another one from them. I've told several people how much I like mine too. I won't be doing that anymore either. That little bit of non-customer service could just very well cause that company to fail. It should!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Before jumping to conclusion and bashing the company we should find out what happened to that lever and the other side's version of the story.I'm not doubting what the guy said but I want to have a complete picture of the story.There's also a warning against putting the bike on the stand with the passenger on it,etc. etc.,so let's wait for E-Z Up to chime in and then.....let the bashing begin!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,823 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster37
weld fails in a few months and they wont cover that. not good customer service, seems like there is a lot of that going around now a days
The weld didn't fail .... something was bent! .... I've had mine for 3 years and have never encountered a problem.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my bad, misread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I'll fill ya in on what they said about all this. First of all I never ride two up and there is no way I could ever set the bike on the stand with a passenger even if I wanted to. I was first questioned if I tried to lift it too high like using a 2 x 6. I told them I have only ever used a 7/16 inch piece of OSB. approx 18 square. Was told this was fine. Then I was told I must have set it up with one leg off of the OSB. The reason I use a large piece of OSB is to not do this. I don't want my bike falling over and so careful it is well onto the OSB. Then I was told I must have bike leaning over on one side and this caused the failure. Dang, I know a bike would be easier setting it on the stand when it is upright. And I can just muscle it up as it is.

He then went on to explain the type and quality of the steel used and it is the best for this application. I obviously can prove or show video of my use but I just know the darn thing bent and I was using it the se as always and know I haven't abused it.

So hope Ron at Wheedock does add to this and add what he can. I do like this product but pretty disappointed in the way this was handled.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
vrodb
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will explain my position on this the same way I did with Dan when his stand showed up on my desk.
When my stand is used to put a bike up it only takes about 50 Lbs of down pressure on the lever. When the stand is used to take the rear tire off the ground by using a piece of 3/8ths plywood under the feet it takes between 100-150 Lbs of pressure depending on the bike, the load in the bags, and the thickness of the plywood used. The foot lever on my center stand is 5/8” diameter x 1/8” wall DOM tubing with another piece of 1018 CRS driven into it for 6 inches effectively making it a piece of 5/8” solid steel. Bending one of these foot levers takes about 250 Lbs of force, much more than the normal pressures used to operate it. If the weld had failed it would have been a warranty issue, no question about it but since this is not a common thing for us to see I treated it as a repair issue. I had my shop weld on a new chrome lever, powder coat, and re-box for shipping back to the customer for $40.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:45 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vrodb
I will explain my position on this the same way I did with Dan when his stand showed up on my desk.
When my stand is used to put a bike up it only takes about 50 Lbs of down pressure on the lever. When the stand is used to take the rear tire off the ground by using a piece of 3/8ths plywood under the feet it takes between 100-150 Lbs of pressure depending on the bike, the load in the bags, and the thickness of the plywood used. The foot lever on my center stand is 5/8” diameter x 1/8” wall DOM tubing with another piece of 1018 CRS driven into it for 6 inches effectively making it a piece of 5/8” solid steel. Bending one of these foot levers takes about 250 Lbs of force, much more than the normal pressures used to operate it. If the weld had failed it would have been a warranty issue, no question about it but since this is not a common thing for us to see I treated it as a repair issue. I had my shop weld on a new chrome lever, powder coat, and re-box for shipping back to the customer for $40.
Well,that sounds pretty reasonable to me.But that's just my opinion!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vrodb
I don't know either party but the OP seems to be a straight shooter & so does the vender - Guess it's just one of those deals - I never have used a shim to get my rear tire off the ground - after this I don't think i ever will - I like the center for what i bought it for - a center stand - I like the center stand because I can step on the floor board & swing my leg over the seat - With my arthristis it just makes things easier - I'm happy that we heard both sides of the story -

Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For a manufacturer to simply state "this is not a common thing for us to see" and therefore it must be misuse, stinks of the need to see oneself as infallible, just because it is uncommon does not mean it could not be a materials failure or even a manufacturing defect, the maker needs to re-examine his ego a little as well as do a proper inspection to see if there could have been a materials issue.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a product I will be doing without.

Quick Reply: Wheeldock EZUP centerstand..dissappointing customer service.