Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commander II Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Commander II Tires

Just got back from getting my new tires. Holy crap!!! I could not believe how smooth and quiet these tires are compared to the Dunlops. If they last half as long as Michelin claims, I'll be one happy camper. Anyone thinking about new tires really needs to try these. It really is that big of a difference.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts

I know what you mean regarding new tires, it's a whole new bike again. Regarding Dunlop vs Michelin, how much of the improvement is due to going from worn out tires which have become out of balance to brand new balanced tires? I just replaced my front tire (Dunlop) with the same Dunlop again, night and day difference! It's soooo smooth and quiet once again.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:34 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

You're probably right. Kind of hard to remember what it felt like riding it on day 1. And I wasn't paying much attention to that aspect of it anyway.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
You're probably right. Kind of hard to remember what it felt like riding it on day 1. And I wasn't paying much attention to that aspect of it anyway.
I started a thread about these tires in January when I first put the C II's on my Fatboy.

Since then I know of six local bikers who have switched to them, and at least a dozen on this forum.

All swear by them, and my initial feeling was the same as yours: if they last half as long as claimed, I'll be a happer camper.

6k miles on them so far, and still running/looking great. I had to replace my stock Dunlops at under 6K.

The last buddy to have put them on his bike just came back from a trip to PA from here (Raleigh, NC). He said he noticed the difference in the rain was like night and day.

It is a valid question about comparing them to worn tires, but the bike never handled or felt as good even when I took it off the showrooom floor as it did when I put on those II's.

Last edited by mmancuso; 08-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered a set for the Heritage this morning. They have the rear in stock but its going to take awhile to get the front.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

roblack, try Chapparal Motorsports.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...90-879740.aspx

Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Michelins are smoother than the E3 Dunlops that were on my Road King. Got 20 grand out of the Dunlops,but they never had the smooth ride and grip of the Michelins.Even though I intended to buy Dunlops again for the mileage,I couldn't wait for them to come in, and went with the Commanders. If they last as long,I'll be just fine with that.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Dunlops are a harder tire. I never leave stock tires on any of my bikes as there are much better tires out there that grip much better and handle much better. I'll even take less mileage for a stickier tire with how I ride. But, the Commander II seems to be the best of both worlds. I have put 4000 on them but the rear was already on the bike when I got it. So, I don't know how many miles are really on it. I'll report back when it starts to look worn which is yet to happen.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one? Read on:

Had the original Dunlop 402 in front, and Elite III in rear. 42k miles later, down to 2/32nd threads on both (actually 36k for the E3 in the rear). Indy recommended Commander II front and rear, rode them for 3.5k miles, can't really tell the difference.

Maybe my riding style? Usually just putting along nice and easy, bike only seen 4300rpm once or twice. Never corner hard. After all, it's a touring bike, at least for me.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
eng23ine
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Am I the only one? Read on:

Had the original Dunlop 402 in front, and Elite III in rear. 42k miles later, down to 2/32nd threads on both (actually 36k for the E3 in the rear). Indy recommended Commander II front and rear, rode them for 3.5k miles, can't really tell the difference.

Maybe my riding style? Usually just putting along nice and easy, bike only seen 4300rpm once or twice. Never corner hard. After all, it's a touring bike, at least for me.

Are you saying that you got 36,000 miles out of ONE rear tire?

I'm lucky if I get 9k

Quick Reply: Commander II Tires