General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Ride In The Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't leave home in the rain, just to go for a ride, but if I going on a trip, oh well. Went to Tn and back a couple weeks ago. Rode in rain about 75% of the time for two days. I did figure out how the water was getting in my rainsuit though. Much happier now.
The full face helmet made a world of difference over the half helmet I usually wear. I now have a half with detachable shield but haven't tried it yet.
Riding an Ultra helps a lot too.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_M
I'll take the bike anywhere unless I need to pick up something that's too big to carry on the bike.

The real question is "do you stop and put rain gear on if you're only going another 10 miles when it starts to rain?" Silly me, didn't realize how bad the rain was going to get, ended up completely soaked (dripping wet soaked, water wicked into boots & squishing soaked) and had to stay that way for 5 hours before I could go home.
Will I ride another 10 miles in the rain withoit putting on my suit? Depends on how hard it's raining...

A hard rain where I grew up near Atlanta is only a small drizzle down here...

It's like the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose....

Once I was 2 miles from home when it started raining...Not only was I wet, but my boots were sloshing....I almost needed a snorkel, just to breath....

And no...I don't stop. Not even back in the 70's would I stop for rain...Granted, when I almost wrecked back then, after I regained my composier, I went home and got my truck to get to where I needed to go.

But..yes, I will leave home in the rain...even just to go to the store! (I don't have a car or truck now, just a company van and my bike)

Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got 2 years of lost riding to catch up on, i'll ride regardless of the weather LOL besides if you move fast enough the rain doesnt have a chance to soak in fully

Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bikes stay put if daily chances of rain are over 20%. Which pretty much makes around 300 dry riding days a year, around here.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If I know ahead of time that it's going to rain, I will usually pass on riding the bike. However, if it starts to rain after I've already decided to take the bike.... I don't mind. I just prefer to have my full face on in the rain.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I left the house for work the other day in a thunderstorm. I actually enjoyed it, although the cloud to ground lightning made me a little nervous at times. I have an hour ride to work, and don't plan to drive a car, until the salt hits the road.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commute everyday to work and live in the Florida panhandle so yep I ride in the rain all the time. The rain gear is always in my saddlebags. I also have a modular helmet and that makes all the difference in the world when it comes to riding in the rain. ABS is also nice. A question for those who have ridden in hail. Did it do any damage? I guess I'm also concerned if anybody has had damage from hail when the bike was parked. The parking lot at work isn't covered of course so I worry about getting a bunch of dings in the bike someday.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Saddle Tramp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got caught a couple times when it changed from rain to hail, it just was not possible to keep riding, the stuff hitting me in the face just hurt to much and took to much of my attention off riding and more on trying to keep from getting the crap beat out of me from it, i had to stop. Mine has been in a few hail storms at work, a couple pretty bad storms, but when i heard it start hitting the roof of the building i was able to run out and cover it with plastic to keep it from getting beat to hell, a big plastic bag over it was just enough to keep it from getting a direct hit on the paint so no damage.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Its typhoon season here so riding in the rain is a given. The most dangerous part is riding through standing water and not knowing if there is a hidden pot hole waiting to take out the bike.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have to ride in the rain or I would not ride much. Have two sets of rain gear worn once years ago and feet got soaked. decidedto much work to put on.

Quick Reply: Anybody Ride In The Rain?