General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Ride In The Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
On purpose? I used to say that everybody rides in the rain, but I won't leave in it. I sometimes put on the rainsuit now, and go out for an hour to get the bugs out of all the unreachable nooks & crannies. Just did it today. Back to the garage, a nice towel dry, and I have a showroom shine again.
Never thought about taking a ride in the rain just to clean the bike. I usually put in on the lift turn on the music, grab a beer and clean away. As far as riding in the rain the right gear makes all the difference. Came home form my cabin in NOrthern Pa last fall a 250+/- ride and it rained like a sumbitch all the way. Had a heated jacket liner under my rain gear, heated gloves and a 3/4 helmet with a sheild. Got home took off the gear and I was as dry as could be. My freind only had a rain coat, half helmet, no gloves. I have no idea how he made it all the way home, I offered to get a room in Danville and spend the night but he wanted to keep on.
I Never leave home without the gear don't care what the weather douche says.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Down here in sunny Florida, rain is pretty much a daily event this time of year. You might or you might not get rained on. If it happens it happens. My rain gear and my windshield are my best friends if it does. I typically won't leave the house in a down pour but not a whole lot you can do about getting stuck in it when you are already out.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 AM
mattkenzie
Road Master

Pretty much every day when I lived in Tacoma, WA. If you didn't ride in the rain, you didn't ride. I've learned that in Southern Arkansas, riders should try to avoid it. The roads around here seem to flood as soon as the waterworks start. Lucky for me that it has only rained twice in the month I've been here.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I only ride in the rain when it's raining. Otherwise I ride when the sun is shining.
plus one..

but seriously.. yes, sometimes we do.. had long standing plans to ride out to pittsburgh, across the state from us to visit family.. turns out last Friday it was raining... the four of us thought for a bit and decided to ride anyway.. we were in and out of rain for most of the ride.. but, no problems.. rest of the weekend was great.. rode back rt 30 back.. nice all day ride with a stop at the National Flight 93 Memorial.. it's admittedly not a big deal but I'm guessing my lovely child bride has "graduated" to being a "real rider".. I more or less left the decision up to her.. ride or take the truck.. she said "let's ride" .. so we did..

cheers

mav

Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 AM
sprinklerape
Cruiser

Not so much fun in winter but summer, bring on the rain.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Clipper
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
?..I sometimes put on the rainsuit now, and go out for an hour to get the bugs out of all the unreachable nooks & crannies.
... Ever try a hose?

It's not fun to ride in the rain. I avoid it if possible.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,773 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I ride in the rain all the time. I probibly have more rain miles than many have total. How can you sit out everyday a little rain might fall?
Rain pussies make me ROFLMAO.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rain is about the only thing that will keep me off the bike (though I've been caught in it a few times). Cold and heat I can handle. Rain just sucks the fun right out.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

I love it when I ride somewheres, and some ringworm makes a comment about rust in a hex bolt or something.

Yes, I ride in the rain. I ride in the cold, too. Not big on cold and wet unless I get caught in it. Summers in Virginia it's 30% until October, so if you're waiting for the chances to get better you'll never ride.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM
98XL1200C
Road Captain

As others have said. I only ride in it if I get caught in it. If chance of rain the bike stays home.

Quick Reply: Anybody Ride In The Rain?