General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light is stuck on!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Deelux
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light is stuck on!!

Anyone have any idea as to what might fix this issue?! I am supposed to be at the Iowa Grand Motorcycle Rally and I'm not (for obvious reasons) Neither my hand or pedal brakes are triggering the brake light.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:03 AM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either the front or rear brake light switch. Disconnect the wires from the rear switch and see if the brake light goes out. If it doesn't it's the front switch.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the bulb first, then make sure the pull off spring is hooked up to the rear brake light switch. After that disconnect the front brake switch to make sure that isn't the problem. If none of that sorts it out then start chasing wires to see where the cross is.

cheers

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauceman
Check the bulb first, then make sure the pull off spring is hooked up to the rear brake light switch. After that disconnect the front brake switch to make sure that isn't the problem. If none of that sorts it out then start chasing wires to see where the cross is.

cheers
Funny. I had a brake bulb go bad but it was the running light filament broke and made contact with the brake filament and got a constant brake light. Pretty rare though.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Deelux
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the repsonses! However I am just going to wash my hands of it and run it over to my mechanic. I did try the bulb, no dice. I guess I'll have to waist this sunny weekend in my SUV at the rally!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Deelux
Thanks to all for the repsonses! However I am just going to wash my hands of it and run it over to my mechanic. I did try the bulb, no dice. I guess I'll have to waist this sunny weekend in my SUV at the rally!
electrical Gremlins can be fun, But most of the time they're a pain!!!!
get a schematic for your bike and have a little fun or do what you did is what I do

Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Do like tombeving said, pull a wire off of one of the switches. I have an 08 fatboy and mine stayed on, pulled one of the wires off the rear switch it went out. Ran it awhile till I got a new one, I use both brakes anyway. New switch was about $21 and took about 10 minutes to change, that included going after my 2nd beer. I didn't even have to bleed the brakes afterwards either.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a recall on the rear brake light switch staying on. Take it to a dealer and get if fixed for free.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride to the rally. Worry about the light later.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:12 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finding the problem switch should only take 30 minutes or less. It ain't brain surgery. Changing out the switch can take some time especially if you haven't done it before. About an hour the first time I did one---last one I did took ten or fifteen minutes. Hope I don't get to good at that skill.

Quick Reply: Brake light is stuck on!!