General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield---WOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield---WOW

Hey tail11, the bugs is frozz this time of year, Im tryin to keep my nose from breakin off!!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Nice shield! I did debate taking off the windshield from the Dyna Low Rider I rented because the top edge of the shield was right in my line of sight and was getting annoying. However I got to ride a friend's Triumph America today (that's a neat little bike, very smooth ride, I admit I was impressed [ducking]) and he doesn't have a windshield on it. Yikes. Lots of wind buffeting! Now I see what I missed having the shield on the Dyna! I'd have to get used to not having it on the sled, I suppose.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to love those windshields.

Back in theearly 80's when stationedat NAS JAX,Florida,I had a Honda CB200T. I drove itback and forth tobase mostly highway overI-295 and the Buckman Bridge.

My Dad found an old Harley bat wing with a windshield and gave it to me to keep the rain off some. I put that on the bike and it was the neetest thing in the parking lot.A Honda CB200T with a fairing on it, man .. everyone gave me more ribbing about that fairing and windshield but it stayed until I wore that bike out and traded it for a Honda GL-500I.

From that point on I was destened to get every bike their after with a windshield!

Enjoy......

Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You WILL ride more comfortable in colder temps! Looks good TOO!!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Harley vs Memphis Shades?
You never know for sure who is saying what on a forum. After a lot of reading and talking to veterans (one with over 350k experience), I gave the nod to Memphis Shades, buying from J&P Cycles online. I also pondered whether to get a Slim or Fats for my sporty. The nod went to the Fats. I worried that the shield might look too wide on a sportster, but it is just right to my eye in a 17" height. The mounts are easy and on/off takes only a minute. J&P service was extraordinary--48 hours to my door.

I'm very pleased with the windshield performance. One thing to remember however is the sound increase. If you think your stock Harley exhaust is too quiet, better wait until you put that big shield on her. You may change your mind.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Newhog
Road Captain

If you have room to adjust or tilt the windshield toward you it will take away the buffeting and also likely will prevent your smokes from flying. My windshield did not have adjustment points so tilted it to the point it barely made good contact on the bottom brackets or notch and that worked fine.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, it's one of those things you can go thru life without "until" you have one and then you can't do without it.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:52 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was a time when I was a macho nuckle dragen harley rider now I can't remember how I did it windshield for me all the time just wish I had the quick release and yes I have lost a few packs also ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/61274153F5494E2099C859AF51BDEE03.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It definitely is a different ride with a WS... For a long time I had one on my cruiser and when I took it off it was breathtaking and seemed overwhelming at freeway speeds. But after a couple days I got used to it (the wind) and pretty soon even at 80 mph it didn't bother me. But that's in WARM weather... I love the look and feel of the bike without the WS, but when it gets cold? Forget it, the WS is ON and it stays on til summer!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Winberry Farms
Tourer

I got one for X-mas for my Deluxe. I will never ride in cold weather without one again....Summer its coming off but winter riding is so much more enjoyable now. Thats funny cause I have lost cigs as well.

Quick Reply: Windshield---WOW