General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some jacket thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some jacket thoughts

I have a leather jacket that I got in 1996. It is a First brand and it is the only leather jacket I have owned. It was made in Pakistan. I have never cleaned, treated it, or otherwise cared for it in any way. It is reasonably heavy and has held up well considering the lack of care. It has a zip out Thinsulate liner and the only thing wrong is the zipper for the liner has a busted tooth making it a little bit of a pain to use.
That being said, I don't think it's a very nice jacket. Sturdy? Sure. But even after all these years it's still kinda stiff, and I honestly don't really care for the styling of it all that much. It is the classic style with the belted waist and the unnecessary leather straps on top of the shoulders. I feel it also a little short
in the back. It may be shrinking too. Or I'm getting fat. I know when I layer up for cooler weather I feel a bit like Randy from A Christmas Story. (You can put your arms down when you get to school.) The other problem is it's hot as a leather jacket in the summer. I used to ride in just a t shirt a lot, but I am making an effort to be more safety conscious so I feel like I should wear a jacket all the time. I have read a lot of threads about mesh jackets for the summer, and that is an option, and I was seriously considering the Fox Creek vented Cordura racing jacket, but haven't seen a whole lot of feedback on it. Plus I feel like nothing is going to protect as well as leather in a worst case scenario. Also if I got a mesh jacket then I still don't really like my leather the rest of the year.
Was also looking at the FC vented racing jacket (leather) or maybe the Grayson. So to make a short question long, if I were to get a quality leather jacket with good venting, would it be tolerable in the 90+ degree heat or would I still wish I had something else for summer. I hate to sacrifice protection for comfort, and vice versa. Sorry for the ramble, discuss.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
skully1200
Road Master

Forgot to mention that spending $400+ on something that I already have one of might not be the best use of my money. There are other toys I want also. Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
TheRooster
Road Master

I have a Classic I jacket from them, and I've worn it in upwards of 107F heat (when we had the latest "heat wave").

It's tolerable to me. I just keep a Camelbak strapped on while I ride (1 hour to work, 1 hour from work) so that I can stay hydrated.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Riven02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to leatherup.com and order a xelement mesh jacket. I think they are $50 and are as free flowing as a jacket can get. Its over 100 here now and its plenty cool when moving.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I have never had one but from what I have been told, the perforated leather ventilated jackets don't ventilate very well and are hot. I have a Tourmaster AirIntake II and when moving it's comfortable. Anything will be hot when not moving. Talking about south AL humidity and mid 90's temperatures.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I have two leather jackets. Both HD. One is really heavy with Liner and vents. The other is perforated. Both are hot when not moving. The perforated jacket is ok when moving but can still be hot. After 45 years of riding, I just broke down and bought a vest from leather up. I know I am giving up some safety but I am riding more and more in just a T shirt. That can't be good. Ride safe.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Riven02
Go to leatherup.com and order a xelement mesh jacket. I think they are $50 and are as free flowing as a jacket can get. Its over 100 here now and its plenty cool when moving.
Ditto ^ I have a friend who won't ride without hers. Her front tire was clipped by someone passing her on the freeway. She slid on the pavement for quite a way. The elbow and shoulder armor kept her safe. All she got was a few bruises and a little road rash on the outside of her palm. Yes, she was extremely lucky! I bought one when I bought the bike and can say it's way cooler than I expected. Even in Houston's heat it's comfy.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 AM
skully1200
Road Master

Does anyone have any personal experience with the FC vented Cordura racing jacket? Wondering how much cooler it would be than leather, and how the protection is.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Can't speak to the rest of the country but there is no way a decent leather jacket is going to be comfortable anywhere in the mid-west in the summer.

I have a great leather jacket but I really can only wear it in the late fall, winter and early spring. Other times I have a nylon HD jacket that is insulated and reasonably heavy for the spring and fall months but come summer I have to strip down...or just stay home in the air conditioned house.