General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance co. Refuses to total

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 07:42 AM
Biker90
|
Road Warrior
Default Insurance co. Refuses to total

So after I got hit a few weeks ago by a 17 year old blowing a stop sign the dealer told me that the bike will be totaled because it had major damage including frame damage.
Now the insurance company decided that they want to fix the bike even willing to pay for a new frame. Total damage on estimate is $14,000 dollars.
Here are my issues:
I don't know when I'll be able to ride again because I'm nursing some fractured ribs and pinched nerves in my legs.
Not sure of how comfortable I'll be riding a bike that had so much damage.
And how much resale value it will lose because of a accident on record.
Anyone have ideas?
It's a 2011 EG ultra limited with 11,250 miles

Old 07-25-2012 | 07:49 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

Not sure of how comfortable I'll be riding a bike that had so much damage.
the insurance company decided that they want to fix the bike even willing to pay for a new frame.
A new frame is just that, a new frame. Much better than a repaired frame. I wouldn't worry about the structural integrity, should be as good as new. But then you'll know it's not the same as when you bought it. If you can get over that part I wouldn't worry about it.

If the crash is an excuse to buy something else, pocket the insurance check, sell the wreck for salvage and move on.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:08 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't worry one bit. I'd be happy if they fixed mine. I had a serious accident years back and my bike was a crumpled mess. They fixed it, and I rode it for another 11 years with no issues. Ironically, the frame was about all they didn't replace on mine. Tranny, heads, one wheel, brakes, carb, and the engine minus the cylinders and pistons was all that they kept. New cylinders and pistons because a couple fins were broken and the cylinder kit was cheaper than to fix what was actually broken. New cables but old drive belt. New tins, and new anything chrome that got a scratch on it or was bent. Look at it this way. They don't "fix" anything. They replace it, so everything will be brand spanking new. Heck they even replaced a old tool bag that I'd had for about 20 years because they said they had no way of knowing if the scuffs were from the accident or age. I also got to go through the pile and take any old parts that were replaced. I took the old tool bag and seat! When I got my bike back, it was like getting a showroom new 5 year old bike. The speedo read 7 miles.

Resale value? I just sold it last month to my neighbor for more than book and he is well aware of it's history and the bank didn't seem to mind. A bike repair isn't like a car repair. Normally, they aren't banging out dents and welding in patch panels. The metal parts are relatively small and it's cheaper and easier to replace. There is nothing affecting the value unless you have it salvaged. Here's a thought. If you replaced the bumpers, wheels, and mirrors on your car and had it painted do you think it will have a negative affect on the value?

Last edited by roadking2000; 07-25-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2012 | 09:15 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

I'd think that if it gets rebuilt by hand at the dealer from the frame up, it'll have better integrity than a bike from the factory, as long as the mechanics know what they're doing. I'd rather have a hand-built bike than an mass produced one, myself.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:16 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Neckball
If the crash is an excuse to buy something else, pocket the insurance check, sell the wreck for salvage and move on.
The crash actually worked in his favor initially because he was having money problems and trying to get out from under the payment. I suspect that now he'll still be making the loan payment, except it will be on a "repaired" bike. If he tries to sell the "repaired" bike, he probably won't get enough to pay off the loan.

Either way, it sucks.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:22 AM
Earl IV
Tourer

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
The crash actually worked in his favor initially because he was having money problems and trying to get out from under the payment. I suspect that now he'll still be making the loan payment, except it will be on a "repaired" bike. If he tries to sell the "repaired" bike, he probably won't get enough to pay off the loan.

Either way, it sucks.
He should insist on a loss in value settlement in addition to the repair cost.

I would have no problem riding a rebuilt bike with a brand new frame assuming the workmanship was top notch.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:34 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

So? You are saying that her insurance company won't pay for a new bike? The insurance company representing the drunk who wrecked my bike back in 2007 tried that crap and the attorney I hired quickly changed their mind. "Vader" (see sig pic) was brand new and paid in full when I took delivery after 10 months of recovery.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:42 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member

The loss of value is termed - "Diminished Value"

Many formulas to calculate.

So, look for additional damage to increase the damage estimate.
Harley Chrome costs can add up quick.
The insurance adjustor's estimate vs. the Shop estimate vs. Your estimate.
Insurance Adj may have missed some items.

Get the bike totaled if that's your desire.

Best wishes.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:43 AM
Biker90
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG

Either way, it sucks.
ye got a good memory my wife has since found work and things are slowly falling back in to place.
but yes im thinking if i want to sell my bike in the future it will have less resale value.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:46 AM
Biker90
|
Road Warrior

I wouldn't mind the bike being totaled so i can get in to a used one for cheaper payments, but if they insist on repairing it then i get stuck with a accident bike. ill talk to my attorney and see what he says. thanks guys

Quick Reply: Insurance co. Refuses to total