General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance co. Refuses to total

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:49 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

I went through the same mess a few year back with a Road King that I used to slay Bambi. Bent frame, but they said they could fix it. Bike was 4 years old at the time. I took the opportunity to pickup used sheetmetal and had custom paint, plus had them tear the jugs and heads off and those went out for punching, port and polish. They cut the neck off the bike with the VIN, send it in, and get a new frame with the same VIN.
Bike got put together and went to fire it up, and found out engine was binding up every 4th turn. Insurance came back out and decided then to total it. I screamed about that since I just poured 5K into the bike they said could be fixed. They finally relented, and we ended up having to crack the lower and fix that issue. 17K later, not counting my contribution, and I had a new bike.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:51 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biker90
So after I got hit a few weeks ago by a 17 year old blowing a stop sign the dealer told me that the bike will be totaled because it had major damage including frame damage.
Now the insurance company decided that they want to fix the bike even willing to pay for a new frame. Total damage on estimate is $14,000 dollars.
Here are my issues:
I don't know when I'll be able to ride again because I'm nursing some fractured ribs and pinched nerves in my legs.
Not sure of how comfortable I'll be riding a bike that had so much damage.
And how much resale value it will lose because of a accident on record.
Anyone have ideas?
It's a 2011 EG ultra limited with 11,250 miles
Do not accept this deal. You'll end up with a bike with a rebuilt title which lowers the resale value by at least 30%. Tell them, you want a check representing the difference between a similar 2011 EG Limited with 11,250 miles w/ a clean title, minus the trade-in value for yours, plus tax and fees.
This deal should get you a replacement bike at no-cost to you.

You should also sue the other driver for medical bills, loss of income plus pain and suffering.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:01 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I would not be sanguine about riding a rebuilt bike, even with a brand new frame. I have heard stories about rebuilt bikes where the build was perfect, but the owner said it just didn't "feel right". Also, there is the psychological factor. Might even be better tha a factory built one, but I would never really feel confident in it.

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:15 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I think frenchbiker hit on the real issue. No matter how well the bike is repaired, the title will always be clouded. Most people will stay away from buying it unless they can steal it.

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:19 PM
Earl IV
Tourer

I thought you only got a rebuild title when the vehicle is totaled?

Can they not order a replacement frame with the same VIN#?

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:23 PM
Biker90
|
Road Warrior

I checked with the dealer and they say that the title will NOT show anything the only way to know would be thru carfax or something like that.

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I didn't know they could get a frame with the duplicate VIN. However, the repair work will still be in the service records of the bike if someone decides to look it up.

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:32 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biker90
I checked with the dealer and they say that the title will NOT show anything the only way to know would be thru carfax or something like that.
Well, there ya go.

Old 07-25-2012 | 01:35 PM
stircrazy
Cruiser

I know here, it is illegal to sell a car, bike, truck, ect that has been in an accident which required more than 2K of repairs with out declaring on the bill of sale. If you have anything like that there, you will have to declare it to any potential buyer and the value is lower.

I would ask the dealer what they would give you for a trade in after they fix it and like said be for.. if they won't write it off ask for a check for the difference in value.

Steve

Old 07-25-2012 | 03:04 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stircrazy
I know here, it is illegal to sell a car, bike, truck, ect that has been in an accident which required more than 2K of repairs with out declaring on the bill of sale. If you have anything like that there, you will have to declare it to any potential buyer and the value is lower.
That's interesting. I don't think there's anything like that here - at least not in my state. I've bought and sold vehicles and have never been asked (or asked myself, for that matter) if the vehicle was in an accident. The only time I've had anything similar is when transferring title - they've asked if the vehicle currently has any damage or mechanical defects. However, even it it has been wrecked, as long as it has been repaired, you can still truthfully answer NO.

Quick Reply: Insurance co. Refuses to total