General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo or with a crowd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 07:02 AM
Iron Horse Biker
|
Former Sponsor
Default Solo or with a crowd?

Just out of curiosity, can I get some thoughts on riding solo versus in tandem or with a group? Of course there are variables, but we're talking generally. Personally, when I just want to clear my head or feel like kicking it, I prefer not having to coordinate or communicate with someone else. Thoughts?

Old 07-25-2012 | 07:20 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior

Outside of my family, there are only about 4 people that I will ride in a group with and thats because I have been riding with them for 20+ years.
Group riding, IMHO, is the most dangerous type of street riding, especially if you are not familiar with the people and their habits that you ride with.
Thats the main reason I don't do large toy runs. Seems like every year there is a crash in one of these.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:31 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

I actually dont mind group riding, as long as Im familiar with the riders within it. We have a descent group here that ride every sunday. Hand picked riders, who know what they are doing, and respect each other as a group.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:49 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer

Most of our riding just me and wife. We also have a friend who rides like we do. He will come with us some of the time. We do just a few group things like a toy run or benefit ride. Have not had any bad experience with the group situations, but prefer just us...going where and when we prefer.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:49 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

95% of the time I prefer riding solo or with just my wife, on her own bike. We have a few friends we will ride with occasionally. I do not like to ride with people I don't know.

I will do 2-3 large group rides a year, a toy run, one other charity run, and one in support of our troops.

Last couple of years I have done a few other group rides - funerals for friends. One of the things that really sucks about getting to 65, most of my friends are in the same age group, and mother nature is starting to take it's toll. Reminds you that life is short, better make the most of the time you have.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:09 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior

I much rather ride solo. When I go out, I like to go early and just run. 30 minute lunch stop and refuel, that is it. I went out last weekend with a guy from work. 1.5 hour lunch, rode way to slow, at or under speed limit. I couldn't wait till our split location. No more.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:17 AM
EZGlider12
Advanced

I haven't had the chance to ride with a group but the guys that do tell me you learn a lot by doing so. I think I like the idea of group riding more than I'd actually like doing it. There's no denying a pack of HDs rolling down the road just looks and sounds f*ing sweet. I prefer to ride in a group of 2 or 3 with people I know have the same habits as me.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:21 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

No more charity group rides for me. Too many novice riders. Last time I did one, a rider riding his bike tandem with mine, not staggered, makes a group left turn and almost forces me off the road.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:28 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

My personal preference is to ride alone. I haven't enjoyed riding with anyone else since I was a teenager. But....that's just me.

On the rare occasions that I do ride with someone else I always tell them, "I know where we are going so if you look in the mirror and don't see me, I'll catch up with you at (wherever it is").

Last edited by IronAss; 07-25-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2012 | 10:30 AM
michaelm
Tourer

The IQ of a group is calculated by taking the lowest individual IQ and dividing by the number of people in the group.
Solo for me.

Quick Reply: Solo or with a crowd?