General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo or with a crowd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 02:48 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

99% of the time,I'm solo. I ride aggressively,and don't like waiting on anybody to catch up when the roads get twisty. Only exception is with the S.O., she likes a slower pace. As far as tandem,only two guys I know who are good enough that I can trust them only a foot or two away,but it's my favorite style of riding,heads up,side by side,completely in synch.

Old 07-25-2012 | 03:34 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

I like solo best, just because I like to do what I want, when I want. I never need company. However I don't mind riding with a group.

Old 07-25-2012 | 04:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

When you decide to ride with another person or a group of people you have given up the right to do what you want, when you want.
Breaks for fuel, food and potty to be planned out as some folks can't go as far as others, etc., etc.

I've rode in large and small groups as part of the pack and sometimes as leader on bikes, ATV's, snowmobiles and cars and keeping everyone haapy as far as speed, where to stop, when to stop is IMPOSSIBLE.

As leader, if you try to do the speed limit (or perhaps 5 over) you will always have the "rubber band effect" with the folks in the back having to do 20 over to catch up once they realize that they have fallen behind.

I prefer using the left lane of a four lane highway, or the center lane if one is available. The right lane is just too busy with turning, exiting and enteringof traffic.
I like (even riding alone) to ride in the left of center of a lane.
I'll ride side-by-side on a straight road but never on a curvy road.
In groups, it's imperative to stay concentrated on the bike in front of you, stops come hard and fast, and be prepared for the possibilityof getting hit from the rear by one of your riding partners if you have a hard time stopping yourself.
To me, the most important thing in riding in groups is to have radio communications (at least between the front and rear bikes) to move the group over and allow faster traffic to pass.

And the final thing is to avoid riding with any group where alcohol has become the focus of the trip!

Old 07-25-2012 | 04:18 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

What I like most about riding by myself is when I raise up on one cheek to squeeze out a stinky, no one mentions it to me when I stop.

Old 07-25-2012 | 04:34 PM
sprinklerape
Cruiser

I have several family members that get together and ride sometimes but mostly solo.

Old 07-25-2012 | 04:44 PM
Roger95
Tourer

Originally Posted by ironass
what i like most about riding by myself is when i raise up on one cheek to squeeze out a stinky, no one mentions it to me when i stop.
lmfao!!!!

Old 07-25-2012 | 05:53 PM
Iron Horse Biker
|
Former Sponsor

Some really interesting insight here, and solid points for those without much experience riding anything but solo. I appreciate the feedback, and may turn this topic into a blog post at Iron Horse Biker. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2012 | 05:57 PM
bglider
Tourer

I prefer riding solo, or no more than one other bike, i like to move around alot and dont want to have to look around before sliding over a little

Old 07-25-2012 | 06:28 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Alone or 2up.

Old 07-25-2012 | 06:36 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by michaelm
The IQ of a group is calculated by taking the lowest individual IQ and dividing by the number of people in the group.
Solo for me.
Hmmm, I did a 5 hour benefit ride last weekend with 184 other riders and not one incident the whole day. Musta been a buncha geniuses!

Sometimes I like group riding and sometimes not. I usually ride with the same core group of people, which makes it a lot better, IMO. We all know each others abilities and everyone gets along. Riding alone is like therapy for me and a lot cheaper than a psychologist.

Quick Reply: Solo or with a crowd?