General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Harely reps

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Feuding with a dealer is a no-win situation. If you don't like them, then walk away as others have said. I doubt you have the option of 'returning' the bike as you would a shirt or pants you've never worn. I understand the feeling, but really, the bike hasn't done anything to you. It's the dealer you're upset with. Take your work to the Indy, and don't look back. If the time comes when you need a dealer, go to another.

Mobil 1 is no more liable to make the o-rings weep than any other oil. For what it's worth, it's not unusual when you build a twin-cam engine to have the base o-rings weep for a few hundred miles until they seal.

Clean it up good and see if it's still weeping/leaking. If it is, you've got some choices to make, e.g., whether to take it back to the same dealer in order for them to make it right. (I think I'd 'eat' the cost and take it somewhere I trusted to get it fixed properly, versus returning to this dealer if they haven't done the work correctly the first time. It will cost you less, in physical and mental wear-and-tear to just relent and get it done right, elsewhere, versus wrestling with these a-holes. The law of diminishing returns will catch up with them, one day, if they treat all their customers like they're treating you. This is a brutal economy, and will continue to be for a while. Any retailer who doesn't show any more 'smarts' than this outfit is not going to survive.)

I wouldn't spend a lot of time stewing about this, or trying to get even. Life's too short to dwell on negative stuff.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 07-25-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Who knows about the base gasket since it wasn't the problem in the first place and nobody but you mentioned it. HEAD GASKET! That's what weeped.
if you want to be a dick, at least be a good one..... and all your other hypothetical bullshit about syn not playing well with dino is completely non-existent on a brand new bike

i got the base gasket off of the original post.... here let me quote it for you

Originally Posted by SIREx
'REPLACE BASE ORINGS AS INSTRUCTED. VERY SLIGHT WEEPING WAS PRESENT. CUSTOMER'S USE OF MOBIL 1 WILL LIKELY CAUSE AS MUCH OR POSSIBLY MORE WEEPING THAN WAS PREVIOUSLY NOTED'

Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM
SIREx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I went in last night and talked to the service manager. He explained how they just pull the filters and drain plugs and let the fluids run. The grease was some kind of spay they used. He said the guys must have missed cleaning it. Did not offer to clean the bike...but he did offer suggestions on what I should buy and use to do it myself. Not good.

So I took your advice I left and will not be going back and I will just clean the bike myself.

I also happened to receive a dealer rating form from Harley yesterday. There were a couple of really nice people in the parts department so I mentioned them.

However, the Service Manager and the Dealership Manager did not fare so well.

I found an indy shop and mechanic that is recommended by several people in my area and will try them for my 5000.

Again thanks for the advice for those that actually gave some without showing their @ss.

Take care

Old 07-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRooster
Glad someone else said it and not me.

I mean, they could have been real dicks and told you that you had to use Harley oil or doing your own maintenance would have voided the warranty unless you are a qualified technician.

That being said, regardless. . .the last thing I would do is follow the advice of what oil to use from a forum on the interwebbie. I mean really. . .if they said use 10w30 'cause it makes your bike warm up quicker, would you do that? No. . .go find multiple, reputable places with real-world backup, not some place where people bitch at each other for drinking and riding or where people ask "where do you put your gas cap".
Yeah what he said.......