General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Harely reps

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
thats why i said 'good' oil. and manufacturer claims are just that, claims. any oil that meets the minimum requirements will work fine for that application. over and above that, is not making any appreciative difference. a sledgehammer will pound a brad, but a tackhammer will work just fine.....
Since I don't know exactly how the oil is made or what goes into it, I don't exactly comment on too many "claims", only personal experience. ie, my bike seems to idle poorly and lag with Exxon gas. . .with Sunoco, it seems to run smoother, and that isn't just my opinion, but my wife that doesn't know when I've switched from one to another.

That being said, I'll generally trust a manufacturer when it comes to taking care of their product. Harley says use Harley oil, okay, fine. . .I'm not going to take the risk that Mobil 1 is exactly the same. Until someone takes two identical engines, fills one with Brand A and one with Brand B, runs them exactly the same the exact same number of miles and can show that they're the same damned thing, to me, they're not. When I see a test of running 5K - 200K with the exact same setups, but with different oils and don't see a difference between the two engines, then I'll agree.

I seriously doubt anyone here knows the process and what goes into making Syn3 and Mobile 1 VTwin. If they did, they probably can't divulge "these are the additives" anyway.

And driving a brad with a sledgehammer is a blast. You should try it with a spoon. Yes, I really was that kid that wondered "what's this like?"

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SIREx
Thanks for the advice guys.

Sorry my mis-spelling and lack of explaining my issue correctly caused such a rucus.

My main point is brand new bike leaks oil and it is not fixed and according to the dealer it will alway leak.

The free oil change was because the service manager said he had to take the engine apart anyway and would go ahead and change the oil.

As mentioned above the Indy tech reccomended Mobil 1 Vtwin and I had already purchased it so the service manager said no problem.

Boy there sure are some negitive people on here. I just wanted to know if any of you had run into to this situation before. I was looking for some advice because this was my first Harley. It was for my 20th wedding and my wife and I purchased it together. I want to keep it until I will it to a family member but the leaking has me very nervous and not being able to trust somone to fix is not very good either.

Have a good one.
New HDs don't leak oil.

Does it still leak now? If it does, have it documented again by the dealer and have him replace the oil by the one he recommended. (I bet it's HD oil and I also bet it'll continue to leak).
Once you can establish that the leak is not caused by the brand of oil, have him try to fix the problem under warranty again, and if after 3 attempts, the oil leak continues, tell them you want to return the bike under Lemon Law.

I hope the problem can be fixed without going to such an extreme.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
SIREx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the guys on here are right about the the oil they recommended.

You may already know about this. I am taking this to my dealer today.

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/...leOilStudy.pdf

Yes the bike still leaks. I called Combs in Lawrence KS and they said it is not suppose to weep or leak.

To answer an earlier question I live in Gardner KS.

No problem on busting my balz on the "weeping" that was very funny.

Last edited by SIREx; 07-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,654 Likes on 2,537 Posts

I think I am going to get a Honda.

Yea; you'll be REAL happy with japcrap after riding a Harley. Same problems happen with japcrap. My neighbor worked for a Suzuki dealership & bought a new one 4 or 5 years ago. After countless problems including an exhaust header that glowed brighter than his taillight, it sits currently in front of his house with a "for sale" sign on it. I'd rather have a busted Harley than busted Japcrap. At least it looks beter sitting in the garage.

BTW forget the "synthetic" hype. Dino oil has been working fine for over a hundred years--nothing but issues with syn, most notably gasket weepages & noisier motors. Get that crap outta your bike & put in HD's overpriced crap. At least it works.

Last edited by dickey; 07-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
SIREx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I think I am going to get a Honda.
I was just joking trying to stir the pot on some of the negitive guys on here. I have had plenty of rice burners that is why I bought this bike.

The engine was leaking with regular Harley non syn oil. Dealer told me to go to syn. Now they are saying the syn I have is not good.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any pics of the original oil leak? How many miles were on the bike when you noticed the oil leak? I haven't heard of base gasket oil leaks since the Evo engine. It may very well have been from assembly lube melting out. The O ring base gaskets have been really trouble free.

Tech23

Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work for a Platinum Dealer and you'd never be treated like that, here. Search for the most reputable dealer in your area for your service/warranty work. I would seek out the general manager of that store and talk DIRECTLY to him. If that doesn't work, complain to the MotherShip. However, ALL dealers are independantly owned. Good luck to you.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
getting the bike back dirty shouldn't happen. they don't have to wash it, but they should at least clean up the mess they made. and do you seriously believe that using non-hd oil is going to result in weeping base gaskets? there is no magic ingredient in hd oil that isn't in any other good oil of the same viscosity. and they can say that all they want, but they can't back it up. besides, he said he was taking the bike to an indy for the oil change.
Who knows about the base gasket since it wasn't the problem in the first place and nobody but you mentioned it. HEAD GASKET! That's what weeped. Did it ever occure to you that maybe they were talking about dino oil vs syn oil and not HD vs another brand? There are reports of syn affecting gaskets you know. Maybe, just maybe, that's what the tech was trying to convey with his "it may still weep with his oil" note since the owner was switching from dino oil to syn. Besides, what's the big deal with that being on a lousy receipt or work order?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

[QUOTE=SIREx;10117435]Long story I am having bad time with a dealer, Bought a new 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom,

First I recieved a Harley Davidson credit card in the mail with a large annual fee, So now I am labeled and did not want to go there for service.

But my cylindar heads started leaking. I was told it was just assemble greeas at first. After reading the forum I found it to be not true, said we needed to chaing the orings under the heads. asked if I wanted my 1000 mile done. told him I had an indy do it and I had my oil.
Mangaer said he would do it at 0 charge, I did buy a new filter and asked him to use my oild Mobil 1 Vtwin.

this statement was on my reciept:

'REPLACE BASE ORINGS AS INSTRUCTED. VERY SLIGHT WEEPING WAS PRESENT. CUSTOMER'S USE OF MOBIL 1 WILL LIKELY CAUSE AS MUCH OR POSSIBLY MORE WEEPING THAN WAS PREVIOUSLY NOTED'

On top of this the whole front end was covered in oil. Looks like they just pulled the filter and let it run. The bottom of the transmission is covered in oil and so it the primary side. Lithium grease and oily finger prints all over

What are your opinions. I want to take the bike back and buy somewhere else. I have only had it less than 30 days.

What do you guys think?

================================================== ==================================

I'd cancel the CCard.

Wash/Clean the motor off And "YES" most shops just pull the filter and let it run.

I'd ignore the comment they typed on Ur receipt but I'd probably tell the SM so U don't recommend using Syn 3 oils either. That IMO is a Cop out Richard Cranium statement..( also know as a ********)

I've had my bike services at 3 diff dealers and the Indy I use here in town..

BY FAR the local Indy is the worse on how dirty my bike is when I get it back.. Its about like U explained above.

Two of the dealers washed and cleaned my bike after a service and the other one didn't.

Biggest thing is to learn Ur shop.. if U have a complaint, ***** up and talk to them. Instead of just telling everyone else about how much problems U had with the dealer.

If Ur not happy in the end then just find another dealer or as U said Ur local INDY..

I try to not burn any bridges until I am ready to blow them up too...

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
You may not realize how bringing your oil for the Dealer to use was seen by the folks who were working on you bike. Never, ever, ever take your own parts (excuses and rationalizations do not matter here) to a repair facility (Dealer or Independent) for them to use/put on your bike or car. There is an old saying, about not taking your eggs to a restaurant for them to cook . . . and that applies here. The money you "think" you are saving by bringing your own parts will absolutely positively show up elsewhere in your bill. Only you won't be able to find it; and you put everyone who is working on your bike (or car) in a foul mood. Maybe it shouldn't be this way . . . but it is . . . and it's not useful to **** off the very people who it is in your best interest to keep happy when they're working on your stuff!
Big +1 on that.

I took mine in for a drive belt replacement a couple months ago. Took it to a big multi brand Powersprots place that happens to have a good H-D wrench on staff.

When I set up the appointment, the service writer asked if I was supplying my own parts? I assumed that meant that they had a problem getting the OEM parts and wanted me to supply them.

I went to the local H-D and bought all the gaskets and **** that they would need. When I took the bike in the service writer saw the bag form the the dealer and said "holly ****, you brought me **** from them"? I said I'm not fond of them either but I didn't want to go 100 miles to get the parts.

He then said "we have them, you could have gotten them here". I told him that I thought he wanted me to bring them and he said that they stock some stuff but if they don't have it, it can take a couple weeks to get it and I must have misunderstood him.

I told him to use only the things I brought in if they didn't have them in stock and to use their in stock items for the rest. He ended up using about 1/4 of the parts I brought and was very appreciative of me telling him to only use what they didn't have from the **** I brought in.

Ya, I've got some gaskets that I probably won't use for several years but, I'll have em when I need em.

Quick Reply: Looking for Harely reps