General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail o the dragon or California hwy 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
alysonowner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail o the dragon or California hwy 1

Just finished motoring up hwy 1 in Cali and I hear many reviews about the dragon but not too many about hwy 1. What an awesome road. I spent 130 miles in second and third and beat the crap out of my floorboards and jiffy stand. Just one hairpin after another with a great view of the coast to top it all off. I plan on hitting the tail of the dragon next year i hope. For those that have ridden both which one did you enjoy the best. If I had the time I'd go back home via the 1 cause that was awesome!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't ridden HWY 1, but have been to the Dragon, and loved that entire area. It's like stepping back in time to a more simple era. Few people and headaches. I'll go back there anytime. I skipped Sturgis to go there three years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Highway 1 isn't as challanging, but I liked it a lot more. Much more scenic and more opportunities to actually enjoy the view and the ride. The dragon is a straight out riding challange and thats about all. I only rode hwy1 from LA to San Francisco, so I can't say how the lower leg or the stretch to Crescent City is, but what I rode was great. I'd take 1 over the dragon simply because it's so much longer and more scenic. The dragon itself is only about a 10 mile ride.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 AM
shawkpilot
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

11 miles, 318 turns

Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 AM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Haven't ridden HWY 1, but have been to the Dragon, and loved that entire area. It's like stepping back in time to a more simple era. Few people and headaches. I'll go back there anytime. I skipped Sturgis to go there three years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.
Where was that picture taken in your signature?

Last edited by djaudette; 07-23-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Dragon vs Hwy 1

Hwy 1...longer more scenic... lots less technical.

The Cherohala is more of an equivalent to Hwy 1 but not as long.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer

I've done all three - Dragon, PCH, and Cherohala, and I like all three for different reasons.

Dragon is techically the most challenging, but too much traffic even during the week.

Cherohala is a very enjoyable and somewhat challenging ride. In hot weather it is a great way to cool downfor about an hour plus.

PCH is a beautiful and somewhat challenging ride. Much longer and therefore for me much more enjoyable. Great places to stop Monterey, Simi Valley Regan Museum, etc.

Dragon and Cherohala are "check the block" rides. The PCH is a bucket list ride.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

you need to check out pics/videos of the Dragon - Its just a very curvy 11 mile long road thru the trees - there is nothing to see.
Disclaimer - I have NOT done the PCH on a bike but did do it in a minivan for several miles north of San Fransisco - wow. It takes your breath away.
I have a done the Dragon with both car and bike.
Very cool - but when we think of that trip on the bike - our ride thru the smokies was much more memorable.
Look at at map - NE on the Dragon - take the Foothills Prkwy to 321 to 73 to 441. I'll bet 73 & 441 remain in your memory longer that the 11 miles on the dragon. As many others have said - the Dragon is only a part of whats there. I like the comment the Dragon is a check off - the PCH is a Bucket List Item. A fair assessment. IMHO. from a 54 year old couple on an electraglide. Opinions of 30 yr olds might be quite different.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done neither but If I ever have the chance to ride the dragon I would do it once. But thats all I want to do it. PCH on the other hand, well, Id like to live there.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djaudette
Where was that picture taken in your signature?
Sig pic is the Needles HWY outside of Sturgis, very nice ride. Top pic is obviously after finishing the Dragon.

Quick Reply: Tail o the dragon or California hwy 1