General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail o the dragon or California hwy 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
09sporty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
You can do Hwy 1 here and hit Hwy 9, 84 and 35 and get a lot of great riding roads. Everyone out here knows it, Tail of the Dragon sounds fun but living here we're spoiled.
X2. I wonder like I stated above how they count the turns on the tail of the dragon. I've been on lots of CA roads where it's constant turns. As far as technical challenge, I do not consider myself inexperienced, but the pch is plenty technical, and doubtful most riders can ride it as fast as it can be ridden within the constraints of the mechanical limitations of their individual bikes. I know I can't..

Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 PM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Hwy 1...longer more scenic... lots less technical.

The Cherohala is more of an equivalent to Hwy 1 but not as long.
HA you're the second CVMA brother I've found on here!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
Hwy 1 is beautiful if the weather cooperates. As far as twisties, if you are in the N Cal area along the coast, find a road called "Bear Creek Road". It connects Hwy 17 near Los Gatos with a little town called "Boulder Creek" along Hwy 9. I used to commute Bear creek Road - the Dragon has NOTHING on the twisties along Bear Creek. Only problem is, it is lined with side streets and houses where as the Dragon is all clear.

Guess I'm saying that there are lots of roads in California around Hwy 1 that are just as good as the Dragon.

Just sayin' because I used to live in the mountains about Hwy 1, and now live in North Carolina. Ridden both.
I know Bear Creek well. Used to take it everyday on the commute to "the pit". Husband and friends used to ride it often, I was riding on the back then. I always liked Hwy 9 to Boulder Creek and on to the beach also. Skyline Blvd., we found some great places to party up there. Ben Lomond, Felton... O.K., now ya got me thinking about another trip before summer ends....

Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in Cali and road Hwy 1 often , it's a great road , I've lived in Georgia for 20 years and the Dragon is certainly more challenging than any stretch of Hwy 1 . There are however MANY killer little twisty back roads that feed into Hwy 1 that are up in that category.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,161 Likes on 12,216 Posts

One takes hours, the other takes minutes. One has an amazing view, the other has trees. One is clogged with slow moving vehicles of all kinds, the other even more so.

Apples to Oranges. But having ridden both, I emphatically vote PCH. The dragon is fun, but in a whole different (lesser) league. And, as others have indicated, you can find a lot nice 11 mile long twisty roads that have less traffic. There is only one PCH1.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

There's more to the area than the Dragons Tail just as there is more to the coast than just the coast. Go inland for a day.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've ridden Cal 1 from Ventura onto 101 through Oregon and Washington State as well as the Dragon. To me there is no comparison, give me the coast. I won't say don't do the Dragon, but my preference would be Cherohala and then the Blue Ridge Parkway, just avoid all of them on the weekends and in the fall when the leaves change.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,161 Likes on 12,216 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
There's more to the area than the Dragons Tail just as there is more to the coast than just the coast. Go inland for a day.
That's a really good point. Tons of great riding in that region. BRP for one. But, there's plenty in California other than PCH too.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM
alysonowner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replys. I look forward to riding the dragon, but the pch was one of the best rides I've ever done.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Also an epic trip is to put your life on hold a while, and drive down the coast from Seattle to Santa Barbara. Keep your bag lightly packed, and live off your credit card. Can be a life altering experience.

Not as rough as biking to the arctic circle, not as many biker buddies as Sturgis, or as alcoholic as the ride down the Keys to Key West, southern most point, but if you have the chance and the will to engage a fantastic motorcycle adventure, put this on your bucket list too. (notice it also includes Big Sur. Kinda a two-fer).
planning this very ride next summer.....hwy 2 from mn to seattle then 101 and 1 to los angles then up to slc into jellystone......

what kind of time line is it to ride from seattle to los angles?

Quick Reply: Tail o the dragon or California hwy 1