General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage full of bikes never ever started.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Without guys like that, who would we work for and who would pay our wages.
He doesn't pay our wages. He sold his company and retired.
I admire the guy for his bussiness instinct and drive to get where he is but to me he's a rich, lucky guy and NOT some sort of public hero we all need to worship.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dude made the money, he can spend it the way he wants! I'd much rather see or have a collection like this, than a 5 million dollar airplane. And he's right "Chicks dig em"! Nuff said!

It reminds me of an interview I saw with Malcolm Forbes, he said " The reason I like Harley Davidsons is, If you buy the best car in the world, it will cost you several hundred thousand dollars. If you buy the best House in the world, it will cost you millions of dollars. If you buy the best airplane in the world it will cost you millions of dollars. The best boat, again millions of dollars. But, you can buy the best motorcycle in the world, a Harley Davidson, and its about $20,000"

I'm sure that quote was not correct, word for word, but you get the point.

Last edited by Harleybass; 07-22-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Albeit cool and impressive, can't help but think that the bastard never has to worry about health care, how to pay for the kids' college bills, working for the man to make ends meet, etc., etc. Kind of pisses me off that there are people like that.
This guy started his own company and it became a success and he made tons of money when he sold it. He used his education and his brain to live the American dream. Through his company, he provided jobs, with good salaries & benefits for who knows how many employees. Seems like the trend today (especially from some political leaders) is to demonize people like him.

We need more Americans like him, and his success is what this country used to be all about. Lots of people collect stuff and never use them (cars, guns, toys etc.). If there is no one with enough money to buy things we will have an economy like Cuba (which is where we are headed...)

Last edited by kontiki; 07-22-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all his money you'd think he'd collect bikes that are collectable and rare like old knuckles and pans. Not twin cams and evos that will never be worth anything. They made too many and theres too many just sitting in garages gathering dust.

Last edited by JohnFlorida; 07-22-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Saw this episode when it came out. He earned his wealth by getting an education and used it to start a company, grew the company and sold out at retirement time.

Instead of being upset with him as some are copy what he did. The opportunity is out there for those with the drive and ambition.

Every watch the family that makes the duck calls and became millionaires?

Business is the place that builds wealth not wages for the most part.

He sure looked like a very happy self assured person to me. His pleasure was from understanding motorcycles and having them like art work. He could have spent several millions on one Rembrandt to look at. It cost him much less to buy models of HD that spoke to him.

He is to be respected for his success not vilified.
+1, this exactly.

Great garage though. Only think that would bother me is 25 bucks everytime he gets a car in or out of the elevator...

I bet this guy was like me when he was poor, hating not having a garage for his bike+car and hating seeing them sitting outside the whole time, exposed to elements, thieves, kids that could scratch them... now he exaggerated in the opposite direction..

Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFlorida
With all his money you'd think he'd collect bikes that are collectable and rare like old knuckles and pans. Not twin cams and evos that will never be worth anything. They made too many and theres too many just sitting in garages gathering dust.
John, that may be true now. But in 100 years they. will be very valuable. A guy in Ohio just found 100 year old shoebox of baseball cards. Estimated worth 3 million dollars.

You bet someone will like Twinkies and Evos in 100 years. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master

The difference is the baseball cards were used by kids and didnt survive. Thats what makes them rare and collectable. Too many garage queens gathering dust. Once harley went mainstream it killed the collectability. Just becuase you put something away for 100 years doesnt mean it will be collectable or if his kids and grandkids will share his thinking . He won't be around in 30 years and his kids will probably just sell everything. Best bet is to stat with something thats already collectable and watch it appreciate.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw that on TV months ago.
At first I thought they were gonna show pre WWII bikes!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,782 Likes on 530 Posts

I wonder what his Doomsday Bunker looks like??

Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for him.

WIERD collection of bikes and cars. My tastes would be different. He needs some help with that.

Quick Reply: Garage full of bikes never ever started.