General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plate Requirements in Quebec & out-of-province inspection

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM
ApplicationError
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Requirements in Quebec & out-of-province inspection

Good evening all,

Currently I am in Calgary, but planning to move to Montreal. I assume that when my bike arrives in Quebec, it will need to undergo an out of province inspection. Does anybody know if license plates can be mounted on the side of the bike? Or what the rules are in Quebec?

App

Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Montreal eh.............My condolences! For the life of me I cannot understand why there is any requirement for a safety check there because just trying to navigate through that city is similar to 3 tours in Vietnam!
I have seen some bike pic's from there & remember seeing plates mounted in a variety of positions but I don't know if thats legal or not.
You can google Quebec motorcycle riding clubs & look at images???
Hatch.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 AM
ApplicationError
Advanced

Originally Posted by hatchetman
Montreal eh.............My condolences! For the life of me I cannot understand why there is any requirement for a safety check there because just trying to navigate through that city is similar to 3 tours in Vietnam!
I have seen some bike pic's from there & remember seeing plates mounted in a variety of positions but I don't know if thats legal or not.
You can google Quebec motorcycle riding clubs & look at images???
Hatch.
It won't be that bad I hear there is a lot of great riding in Quebec, jut will need to find some guys to go ride with.

One would think that finding some basic regulations/laws pretty easy... but not so much. What a pain!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 AM
frozenjim
1st Gear

Heh.... as an ex-Albertan in Quebec I can tell you that there are many differences. Like, don't just head out on a trip assuming that the roadsigns will guide you! Not in Montreal.

As for plates, I am advised by the local Harley dealer (MotoInternational) that you may not mount your plates vertically.

Worse, your plates won't fit on your Harley. The bolt pattern is much bigger than the U.S. plate so you need to drill holes into your plate then - if you want to have any sort of plate holder - use metal cutters to trim your plate to fit. Just don't cut off the words "Je me souviens" or "Quebec" or your plate becomes illegal.

But the people here are awesome - even if you don't speak French - and the riding is flawless. Head out to Magog some Saturday and you'll notice more bikes than cars.

Bienvenu a Quebec!