General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lone Ridin' - Has anyone else experienced this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:42 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior
Default Lone Ridin' - Has anyone else experienced this?

Greetings everyone.

I've owned Harley's off and on for round about 27 years or so. For about a 5 year period, I didn't ride at all as my business kept me away from home a good percentage of the time. Here recently, I've purchased an '06 Heritage and am falling in love with riding all over again. I've taken the hill country rides, the rides toolin' around town, breakfast runs, etc. Short of organized runs, now I am finding that I really don't know too many other folks with whom I can meet up with to go for a run every now and again. I'm a member of the local HOG chapter and have made a couple of runs there. But does anyone have any other suggestions on how one might go about meeting like-minded HD folks who like to rev up the ol' v-twins on an early weekend morning and head on out the highway? Has anyone else found themselves in this particular situation? I mean, I love riding lone wolf and all. But every now and again, it's cool to share the joy with fellow enthusiasts too! Thanks, all.

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:47 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Lone Ridin' - Has anyone else experienced this?

I like to do both. alone and with others. Safer with others, especially at night.

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:54 PM
Unamed
Road Master

I lucked out and met a good friend friend at my first poker run ever, now we ride all over the place together. Keep ridin and you'll click with someone im sure, jsut be yourself.

I ride in groups for the comraderie
I ride alone for therapy, lol

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:54 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I tend to like riding alone, because I don't have to constantly watch the other guy, to keep from running in to each other. HOG rides aren't my thing...they like to go too slow. I like to just take off without a certain destination. That said, if I'm ever you're way, lets go put down a 100 miles or so!

Joe
[&:]

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:00 PM
MarkM
Tourer

I've had my bike almost 2 years now. Joined the local hog chapter, but have never made it to a meeting or ride (letting that lapse this year). Up until my brother got his bike a few months ago, I never rode with anyone else, other than maybe a poker run or two. Even now that my brother has one, I still do most of my riding by myself or with my girl on the back. I kinda prefer it actually. Don't have to follow anyone somewhere I don't feel like going, and I can go when I want and where I want. I live across the state from Daytona, so I hit the 2 rallies each year for a day or two. That pretty much satisfies any urge I have to be riding among a bunch of other bikes. Riding's fun for me no matter how I'm doing it, so it doesn't bother me in the least to go by myself.

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:00 PM
two dogs
Cruiser

Too bad you dont have a Kellers Drive In there in Austin, here in Dallas we have a lot of places to go, Strokers Ice House, bound to be something like that in Austin?

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:04 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: two dogs

Too bad you dont have a Kellers Drive In there in Austin, here in Dallas we have a lot of places to go, Strokers Ice House, bound to be something like that in Austin?
I was just at Stroker's this past Wednesday. I'm in Dallas all the time on business. As a matter of fact, even bought my bike down that way - North Texas HD. Here in Austin, there've been a few places that have 'tried' to start up a bike night. But for whatever reason(s), none of them really took off. Thursday nights around town seem to be the 'bike night' for the bars/restaurants around town. But not any 'one' of them really draw what I would call a decent number of folks/bikes.

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:07 PM
billk
Road Master

I've met some great people thru the local HOG chapter, and do ride with them 'outside' the group rides. Another place you can make associations are at your local HD dealer, or at a 'known' MC' spot, such as a restaurant, etc. I, like you, ride solo often, however, when stopping for lunch, etc., it is nice to enjoy the company of a friend with like interests. Hang in there.

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:10 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

I do a lot of riding by myself. Most of my friends don't own bikes or are married and don't have the free time I do. There is a bar in town that I cruise by once in a while to see what kind of runs are coming up. You might have a place locally like that.

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:19 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Charity rides are good places to start.

Quick Reply: Lone Ridin' - Has anyone else experienced this?