General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in rain: seperating the real from the imagined...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 AM
rynegold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in rain: seperating the real from the imagined...

I can't think of even one person that actually likes to ride in rain, period. Cloudy days, rain off in the distance; now that's cool but being on a bike in a solid, steady rain; no.

So yesterday, my wife Traci and I, knowing full well rain was in the forcast (as has been the case now for nearly two damn weeks here in Texas) set off to ride somewhere.... we were going stircrazy! So from Montgomery, we rode up HWY 45 all the way up to Madisonville then west and down south to complete a 100 mile or so loop. All before noon. It started to rain in Madisonville, off and on all the way home; a good 50+ miles.

Some quick history. I've been riding off and on since 78. My wife just got her license Aug. last and is, to say the least, new to rain.

The little two lane blacktops we were on yesterday have several 90o turns on'em... old property lines most likely, and sometimes in succession.

Now I've riden in rain, but never do I feel as safe as on dry pavement. And yesterday was no exception. I tend not to lean as much and catch myself from time to time, especially when under a little stress ( too fast into a turn, too close to the center with oncoming traffic) actually trying to "steer" the bike rather than push/pull opposite from where I want to go as in regular riding. That's just plain dangerous and, I know that I'm doing it!!

So on this ride, I looked behind me after making the first one going south on hwy39 to see Traci sailing off straight onto an even smaller "home done" driveway (that obvioulsy went straight!) insted of making the turn!! My heart went into my throat as I pulled off to the edge of the road (no shoulder) and before I could get turned around, here she appeared and was back on the road headed my way.

So for the rest of the ride home we did ok but, how/where/
can a rider learn about riding in rain BEFORE his/her next encounter?
Traci has a good 6k under her riding belt by now, and is a good rider in all other respects. She leans into turns fairly aggresively, uses peripheral vison well and looks way down the road (or tells me that anyway).

My question from those that actually know is:

(1) what percentage of traction do you have in rain as opposed to dry? ALL THINGS ELSE BEING EQUAL... that is, same type road surface, same degree of (or lack of) oil debris, same type tires?

(2) how do you adjust your leaning into curves, if any at all?

(2) Is there any tecnique you use under rainy conditions other than slower, more upright (less leaning) riding style that you've learned from advanced courses you can convey here on this thread?

I don't want to learn by trial and error as that's rather expensive in skin and paint so if anyone has a more learned view, please share it with the rest of us!

regards, mitch

Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

You can watch all the tapes & DVD's , listen to all the pro's talk and what if till the cows come home but said and done once you hear it all the only way to actually learn is doing it in the rain on your bike . Like the people riding them each is generally the same but different .

A lot depends on the tires you , harleys come with a hard tire because they are heavy and people want good mileage from them , great for dry roads but less traction when wet . Softer or " Sticky " tires like rice rockets run handle just as well wet as dry but you loose the higher mileage .

Next is your skill levels , time in the saddle , and overall confidence levels . If you still have to think about your every move or how your going to do something your still in need of a lot riding time and the only way to get it is do it .

Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Arihant
Cruiser

Not an expert by any means, but here's some input..

1) worst part about rain is the discomfort...soggy crotch, water in boots and rain on the visor...makes you less confident & prone to error.
2) dress right, and crack the visor or goggs a notch as humidity may cause them to fog up.
3) Aquaplaning is a killer..thats what happens with differntial friction ie when one tire goes into water and the orher doesnt...causes severe loss of control at speed.
4) Avoid riding near the edge of the road where water tends to accumulate and chances of aquaplaning increase.
5) Brakes...test em while riding. Continuously. Gradual pressure on both brakes...helps keep em warm and steady.
6) Cornering is tricky but depends on the amount of rain, road conditions etc. Most modern tires are ok in rain, but I wouldnt push it unless you are a wet track expert and armoured to the gills.
7) If you plan on riding a lot in rain, a shield is good, and get hand / grip shields as well...they help keep your gloves dry.

Hope this helps. Am sure experienced riders will contribute much more.

One final thought...ride brother, come hell or high water!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

(1) what percentage of traction do you have in rain.

It could be 100% or it could be a lot worse. There are too many variables to have "one answer". A lot depends on the tires and road surfaces, the weight of the bike, how fast accelerating, decelerating... braking. Painting on the road (lines, stripes etc...) can be slicker than snot. Oil residue on road can cause havoc, especially on smoother surfaces. Visibility can also become a serious issue, especially for cages seeing you, or should I say NOT seeing you

I just take it slow and easy and dont try to do anything fast

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

Nothing replaces experiece but I don't like it one bit. Cagers are more destracted in the rain and are more likely not to see you. I slow down and kick it into high alert for idiots.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM
stircrazy
Cruiser

I rode in the rain about 8 months a year for 4 years, granted it wasn't a Harley but it was a cruiser, which didn't handle as well as my Harley.

I used my bike to go to work and back every day and lived in Victoria, so winter there is pretty much rain every day and lows of 36 degrees highs of 46.

the only difference between summer and winter driving for me, was in winter I avoided the road paint as it is slippery when it is wet, and I drove normally and at the speed limit. so no hard acceleration or speeding around corners. as for actual cornering, normal lean with the same tires. I would play with it and could lean much harder than I do when I drive normally so I was never worried.

did I like riding in the rain, heck no but it was a lot cheaper than driving the truck and I saved myself a 15 min walk as motorcycles got the best parking spots at work.

Steve

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't think of even one person that actually likes to ride in rain, period.
Huh?? I do! Many times I've pulled out of the garage in the rain with rain forecast for the whole day. If you prepare (gear up) and don't ride like an idiot, you can have a nice time. IMO, the worst part about riding in the rain, is having to deep clean the bike afterward.

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You can watch all the tapes & DVD's , listen to all the pro's talk and what if till the cows come home but said and done once you hear it all the only way to actually learn is doing it in the rain on your bike.

Next is your skill levels , time in the saddle , and overall confidence levels . If you still have to think about your every move or how your going to do something your still in need of a lot riding time and the only way to get it is do it .
Yeah, all of that.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I've not seen mentioned that will get some people: steel.

Beware railroad grades (since it seems you live in country-ish territory). Your tires have close to zero traction on wet steel. This also goes for steel that is sometimes put down between the tracks.

Also pay attention for manhole covers.

Like most people have said, it's all about experience, and you'll never get an "all things being equal" answer, because there just isn't one. I ride every day rain or shine (yes, I am one of those dipshits that likes riding in rain) and almost each time it has been different for me.

Your tire wear will determine how well you grip, how other people drive (and hence, lay down the rubber on a road) determine how well you grip.

I will say, I generally drive about 80 to/from work (highway/interstate mostly). I slow down to doing the actual speed limit (55/65) because for one, people will act like morons and forget how to drive. For two, a good rule that was told to me was take every action on dry ground and make it half as effective on rain.

Last but not least, don't be afraid to lean, but don't be overzealous. You'll feel when a tire starts sliding. . .at that point, you know you've gone too far. If you pay close enough attention and do it right, you can get the most out of your tire in wet conditions without ending up on your ***.

Use common sense. If it's too fast in your mind, it's too fast. If you're wondering if it's too fast in your mind, it's too fast. You ride to your confidence level, not what the jerk-off behind you riding your *** can do. There will be guys on bikes passing you going 70 or 80 in a 55 during a downpour. You will pass guys doing 35 in a 55 in a downpour. Don't worry about them, worry about what you feel comfortable doing.

*edit* Forgot to mention. . .beware the first 10 to 15 minutes of a rain storm. It will pull the oil out of the road surface and make it slicker. This is why I try to stick to highly used roads in the rain. . .my belief is that the cars will splash the water (and oil and grime) off the road or at least out of the tire track where I ride (and where there is a slight buildup of clean water).

Last edited by TheRooster; 07-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Just another item to consider: Make sure you can be seen by anyone behind you. If you are having trouble seeing in the rain the car / truck behind you is too.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Riding in the rain isn't really fun, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy my ride. I've had the pleasure of riding thru hail, and that's a pain.

Re: rain riding - I tend to dial it back a bit. My leans aren't as aggressive, but they don't need to be. I slow my pace down a hair because in the rain, I'm not looking to push my limits.

Things to consider:

Painted lines, especially crosswalk markings, are always slicker than you would think. I try to ride between the lines, or up straight.

Steel, like mentioned above, is slippery too. Watch out for that.

Visibility - Brights on in the rain, so we can be seen through the road mist.

Tractor trailers - Pass these guys as quickly as possible. If possible, wait until there is room for a full pass before beginning to pass. Last place I want to be in rain is next to an 18-wheeler.

Sounds like you've gotten the right idea about all this. And in time, your wife will build confidence too. 6000 miles isn't very much time, wet or dry, but in time, confidence will increase.

Quick Reply: Riding in rain: seperating the real from the imagined...