General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General motorcycle parking...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default General motorcycle parking...

Do you pull in front wheel forward to a parking space? On the street where there is a curb I always back my bike in so ther rear wheel is against the curb. I thought of this after reading a post about backing out of a parking space. I f I am forced to park in a car parking space I usually pull in so I would have to back out, but that is a rare occurence. I have been riding bikes long enough to realize that it is usually easier to park a bike in a different spot like the end of a long line of spots that have been lined odff and say no parking, or on the sidewalk in front of the store or restaurant, or almost anywhere besides in a regular car parking spot. I take advantage of the fact that I have a vehicle that is less than half the size of a car. In our city parking structures we actually have motorcycle parking spots which is nice. On our permit parking streets ( this freakin' city) we can park without a permit. When I used to work as a messenger we would all park our bikes on the sidewalk across the street from the courthouse in Downtown L.A. and never had a problem. This is a big part of the advantage of riding a bike. It is quite easy to find parking. Aside from traffic, this rules. Once I am accustomed to riding my bike somewhere I forget about traffic jams and parking fees. LOL...

Old 01-15-2007, 05:18 PM
SLORider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: General motorcycle parking...

Usually back up to a curb. Main thing is the grade of the road I want to power out of any up hill. If the parking place is angled up toward the curb I would head in and back out. Did the backing up hill thing a couple of times (i'm slow) and don't no more.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I always park with the front wheel headed up hill. In other words, I don't want to push the bike uphill backwards out of the spot. Other than that, depends if any other bike are with me. If alone, I never pull deep into the spot for fear someone might think the spot is empty and accidently hit my scoot.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Park with the front wheel facing uphill so I can pull out in 1st gear and not have to try walking it out backwards uphill.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the otheres. Always face uphill, much easier to drive out that way.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Some States require the license plate to be visable,when parked,from the roadway.Thus you would have to head the bike in or parallel park.[:'(]

Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
anubisss
Banned

What about parking downhill and leaving it in neutral? HAHAHA j/k

Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You laugh but I've seen bikes go down when the riders have done that. A habit I have formed is, with the exception of my garage, I always kill switch with the bike in first gear. Simply put that means "every" time I start the bike up I pull in the clutch first. I have never (key word being never) had a problem.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
anubisss
Banned

I never use the kill switch, but haver noticed that they taught scooter to use it in MSF...

Old 01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I almost always backer in. Sometime back the wife said she wanted hers to have reverse! lol With those short legs of hers she will have a hard time of it pushing it back. Think she might have to carry a step stool

Quick Reply: General motorcycle parking...