General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my 1st bike (2012 Dyna Street Bob) any tips or tricks for buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:56 PM
sigtau150
|
Cruiser
Default Buying my 1st bike (2012 Dyna Street Bob) any tips or tricks for buying?

I am finally making first bike purchase and wanted to see if you guys had any tips or tricks.

I have been hitting up all the dealers in the area to check out the bikes and also get a feel for their customer service. I finally fell in love with a bike and the dealership was nice and the salesperson (who has just started working there) was VERY helpful and not just trying to make a sale.

So, I already took the MSP class so I know they usually give the cost of the class off the bike but are there any other tips on negotiating? I am going to get a 2012 denim black Street Bob that seems to be pretty much stock and has a tag of about $13,600 on it.

1. Is that a good price? Do you think they would go lower? If so how low do you think?
2. Do they negotiate? If so how much wiggle room do they have?
3. Should I try to get them to throw anything in? One of my friends got a couple of shirts and the 1st service thrown in.

Anything else you can think of that would help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm buying the bike either this weekend or next.

Old 07-13-2012 | 10:08 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Do your homework before you try to do a deal. Know the MSRP. Know that most dealers aren't giving much, if anything, off MSRP. Realize there are other costs they will (or will try) to add on - like admin fees, dealer prep, freight, and the list goes on. Be ready to argue those add ons, although you very likely will not win. If you are financing, know what the maximum is that you can afford and if they ask what that is, tell them lower. Be ready to let them think you are going to walk because the deal isn't to your satisfaction. By all means try to get them to throw in something, and not just a tee shirt! Either something in the way of service, or if there is an add-on like a rack, or windshield, etc, ask for it to be included. The dealer will try to get as much out of YOU as they can. YOU have to turn it around and get as much as you can from THEM!

Old 07-13-2012 | 10:15 PM
Zelrick
Cruiser

try to get them to throw in everything.

But seriously, prices are a regional thing in my area that bike would be about $100 cheaper. but it looks like your getting that one either at or close to MSRP which is about right.

If you can't get them to move on price, be sure to get the 1000 mile service free of charge .

Oh and like your friend press them for a couple of shirts or something.

Around here the dealers also give you between 10 and 20% off anything (except bikes, I tried) in the store for a month or 2 after buying the bike.

Old 07-13-2012 | 10:20 PM
Zelrick
Cruiser

and yea, like June Bug said. Do not let them hit you for Freight, set up, prep, doc or any other fees that are not required by your state. If they try it, hit up cycle trader and find a dealer that doesn't.

For reference, my closest dealer would sell that bike at $13,384 out the door with no extra fees of any kind. You would have to add $200 for Cali emissions.

Old 07-14-2012 | 07:25 AM
Csousanh
Advanced

I just bought my first Harley, but my fourth bike overall. I shopped at five dealers, most would drop fees but would not go below msrp. It was frustrating. One threw in a 1000.00 gift card but had the highest price, others nothing but were at msrp. Service varied but all but one was nice to work with. In the end, after negotiating a competitive trade (no trade would have made my case because I could have used my "chits" to negotiate for other things instead) and the price by explaining my other experiences, I got the bike for 500.00 below msrp, with no fees.

Dealer invoices are about 3k+ below msrp so they have wiggle room, but they have to want to move the inventory. I found that the larger dealers were a little less personable (friendly but business/salesman-like) but they were willing to deal more because they wanted to move their bikes as the 2013s are on their way. The smaller dealers were nicer but firmer on msrp.

Good luck I am sure you will be satisfied in the end, just stop looking once you buy.

Last edited by Csousanh; 07-14-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2012 | 07:39 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

My experience is that you can't get any different prices between dealers unless there is some sort of special going on in a straight up deal. I believe that is by design. ie; Back in 06 (I think) I was in Rossmeyers Daytona looking for my first bike (a used one), asked to see their 'Rose Garden' figuring they must have some trades they wanted to dump. Guy took me in the back and said if you're lookig for a deal, you can have any one of these for $10,900, they had 8 or 9 identical leftover red Softail Standards sitting in a row. Still regret not buying one of them despite not being what I wanted. To feel like you got a deal ya need to trade something. First year I had my WG, I looked at a couple new bikes in different dealers, every one offered me more than I paid for it on trade off MSRP on a new one. I have a friend that just traded her Sporty on a Switchback, there was $3500 difference between the 3 dealers between Space Coast, and Ft Lauderdale. I just got what I paid for my 04 FLHRSI two years and 23,000 miles ago on my RG in trade.

Last edited by Afishinado; 07-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2012 | 07:57 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

My first Harley purchase, I emailed all the dealers within 100 miles of me, told them what I wanted and to send me a out the door quote ... less tax. The next day, Electric City HD in PA called me with a price $1500 under MSRP plus tax... nothing else added on.

If you go email route, you get hard numbers, no BS.

Old 07-14-2012 | 08:03 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

'13's will be hitting dealers next month so...if you wait a bit the '12's will be "floor fodder" and dealers want to move these out ASAP...JMO.

Old 07-14-2012 | 08:18 AM
who...me?
Intermediate

The trick is not to get emotional about the purchase and be willing to walk away if you can't get the deal you want. Do your homework and know beforehand what a reasonable price range is for your area. Certain fees you can't escape, taxes, tags, etc.

Have two numbers in your head when you start the negotiation. The first being the the out the door price you'd like to get, and the second being the price you could live with. The sting of overpayment lasts much longer than the euphoria of a new bike.

Don't be afraid to be a tough negotiator. A lot of people are under the impression that if you are tough that you are being rude. Keep in mind they do this everyday, and it's just business. Don't be a turd but don't be afraid to be matter of fact. You're not there to meet new buddies.

You may also want to consider a used bike. There are a ton of used low mileage bikes on craigslist from sellers "with no time to ride", who are motivated to sell. You can save yourself thousands of dollars. Keep in mind a bike is used as soon as it's driven off the lot. I'm all for letting the first guy take the initial 20% depreciation.

The key is to be informed, keep the emotions in check, and remember that you hold all the power in this situation. You don't have to buy anything.

Old 07-14-2012 | 10:35 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member

Just remember you are the CUSTOMER !

Quick Reply: Buying my 1st bike (2012 Dyna Street Bob) any tips or tricks for buying?