General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my 1st bike (2012 Dyna Street Bob) any tips or tricks for buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012 | 10:45 AM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Iceman24
'13's will be hitting dealers next month so...if you wait a bit the '12's will be "floor fodder" and dealers want to move these out ASAP...JMO.

TOTALLY : icon_ditto:

I think I'd kick back and wait a Month and see what the 13's are like and also save on the 12's

Old 07-15-2012 | 12:27 AM
sigtau150
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the great info. I am going in tomorrow to take a ride with the sales guy so I will definitely keep all of this in mind.

I was wondering about the '13s and when they would be coming out since I knew that would help me in the end. Glad to hear they are coming out next month. I might play the delay card because of that.

I'll probably stick with the new bike, just b/c in Southern California all the used ones I've been looking at seem to be overpriced. I've seen almost the same bike I want but a few years older for only $1000 less, so I think having a new one and knowing I won't run in to issues that aren't covered for that small difference is definitely worth it.

Will let you know how it goes!

Old 07-15-2012 | 08:46 PM
sigtau150
|
Cruiser

Well, the test drive went GREAT! So I will definitely be buying the Street Bob. They wouldn't budge much. They basically said $500 off sticker plus 1000 miles service plus fees (freight, prep, etc) with nothing off for the MSP class and no 10% off the store for a month. The main manager wasn't there so not sure if he will budge on that when I go back in next weekend. The surprising thing is the sales guys even said that the bike I wanted has been sitting there for a while and they have 2 of them still there. Plus the 13's are coming out next month.

So, I took the advice of kanelakos and emailed 6 different dealers in the area and asked them for the out the door number and that I was going to buy for sure next weekend. Fingers crossed to see what happens next. I really want this bike!

Old 07-15-2012 | 08:48 PM
agueybana
Road Master

wait for the 2013!! ...2012 will be cheaper then!!

Old 07-16-2012 | 12:22 AM
rrm3
Tourer

Keep working them, I got mine for $12,999.00 no fees out the door. The main thing that you are comfortable with the deal. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2012 | 03:23 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by sigtau150
Well, the test drive went GREAT! So I will definitely be buying the Street Bob. They wouldn't budge much. They basically said $500 off sticker plus 1000 miles service plus fees (freight, prep, etc) with nothing off for the MSP class and no 10% off the store for a month. The main manager wasn't there so not sure if he will budge on that when I go back in next weekend. The surprising thing is the sales guys even said that the bike I wanted has been sitting there for a while and they have 2 of them still there. Plus the 13's are coming out next month.

So, I took the advice of kanelakos and emailed 6 different dealers in the area and asked them for the out the door number and that I was going to buy for sure next weekend. Fingers crossed to see what happens next. I really want this bike!
Cant hurt right?? You can do better than what that guy offered you. Maybe its different in Cal but I would not settle for that. I got 15% off for a year after my purchase... not to rub it in but just to let you see it can be done.

Now consider the used bikes for only $1K less. That bike probably has 5 grand in extras already on it. See what it had done to it (stage 1, extra chrome, beefed up motor for examples). I thought the same thing the first time I shopped for a Harley then after I bought, I realized that the used ones I looked at for just a little less than new already had on the stuff I ended up putting on anyway at a higher cost! GL!

Old 07-16-2012 | 04:11 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by sigtau150

Good for you Sigtau. Don't be afraid to walk away from some arrogant dealer that won't budge on price. Remember, everything, and I mean everything besides sales tax and DMV fees are negotiable.

With the 2013 models coming out very soon, you will have a whole lot more bargaining power on your side. The original price of $13,600 that was listed is nothing more than MSRP for a Denim Black Street Bob with Cal emissions. No way in hell you're paying anywhere near that price for a 2012 model in San Diego.

Back in 2010 when I bought my new Street Glide, I went into SD Harley with a certified cashier's check for $15K made out to the dealership. I told them I was ready to buy right now, and that I would make up the difference with a personal check. They dicked around, and would only give me a few hundred off MSRP. I got up, told them that they just lost an easy sale, and walked out of the dealership. I called up Biggs HD in San Marcos, and asked if they had a Street Glide in denim black, and if they wanted to sell it right now. They guaranteed me that I would be satisfied with their price, so I took them at their word, and made the trip to the dealership. I ended up getting around $2500 off of the MSRP total. I didn't pay dealer set up, freight, or any other bullshit charges. When I showed them the cashier's check made out to SD Harley, they laughed their asses off, and were taking pictures of it.

Moral of the story: don't be afraid to walk, when you aren't getting the deal you want. There are plenty of dealerships in the area that will play ball.

Old 07-16-2012 | 05:39 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Good for you Sigtau. Don't be afraid to walk away from some arrogant dealer that won't budge on price. Remember, everything, and I mean everything besides sales tax and DMV fees are negotiable.

With the 2013 models coming out very soon, you will have a whole lot more bargaining power on your side. The original price of $13,600 that was listed is nothing more than MSRP for a Denim Black Street Bob with Cal emissions. No way in hell you're paying anywhere near that price for a 2012 model in San Diego.

Back in 2010 when I bought my new Street Glide, I went into SD Harley with a certified cashier's check for $15K made out to the dealership. I told them I was ready to buy right now, and that I would make up the difference with a personal check. They dicked around, and would only give me a few hundred off MSRP. I got up, told them that they just lost an easy sale, and walked out of the dealership. I called up Biggs HD in San Marcos, and asked if they had a Street Glide in denim black, and if they wanted to sell it right now. They guaranteed me that I would be satisfied with their price, so I took them at their word, and made the trip to the dealership. I ended up getting around $2500 off of the MSRP total. I didn't pay dealer set up, freight, or any other bullshit charges. When I showed them the cashier's check made out to SD Harley, they laughed their asses off, and were taking pictures of it.

Moral of the story: don't be afraid to walk, when you aren't getting the deal you want. There are plenty of dealerships in the area that will play ball.
Sweet, nice job! I can only hope that the SD Harley heard about what you actually paid for your bike. You can make more money by selling cheaper but more volume.

Electric City in Scranton sells MANY bikes to people in my area (60 mile trip) because they understand how things are. I myself bought two from them and I found out by word of mouth. One Saturday when I was there, I saw 3 guys from my town buying bikes at Electric City.

Old 07-16-2012 | 08:54 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Sweet, nice job! I can only hope that the SD Harley heard about what you actually paid for your bike. You can make more money by selling cheaper but more volume.
Oh, they did. I saw the SD Harley salesman about a month after I bought the bike from Biggs HD. He was actually a very nice guy that had no control over the final price I was going to pay. I got sent into a room with the closer (some sales manager type), and he was the guy that tried to play me. I don't know if he thought I was some yokel that just fell off of a turnip truck, but he acted like he was doing me a favor by just selling me the bike for MSRP. Wrong answer...I'm probably any salesman's worst nightmare, because I really research what I'm buying, and go there prepared for negotiations. I'm usually the one that turns the table around, and puts the full court press on the closer to close the deal. A lot of guys are so stunned by the tactic, they don't know how to act.

The original salesman at SD Harley understood that it was strictly business when I walked out of there. I didn't go back to the dealership to gloat...I was in there for a part, and he saw me. The guy was actually apologetic about my experience there, but as they say...it was a day late, and a dollar short.

Old 07-16-2012 | 09:24 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by kanelakos

Electric City in Scranton sells MANY bikes to people in my area (60 mile trip) because they understand how things are. I myself bought two from them and I found out by word of mouth. One Saturday when I was there, I saw 3 guys from my town buying bikes at Electric City.
I live a few miles from Electric City . You're absolutely right when you say they understand how things are. Great people, great prices and great service. Bob, the father and president , has been a dealer for close to 25 yrs. He is one of the nicest people that you will ever meet.
He and I were discussing business philosophy , one day,and realized we both used the same three word model ..."Don't screw people"..that's really all there is to know.
My two sons got be back into bikes last year. In 12 months we bought 5 new Harleys from Electric City. I would never even consider shopping another dealer.
Give me a shout next time you're coming down. I have the Black twin to your Heritage.

Quick Reply: Buying my 1st bike (2012 Dyna Street Bob) any tips or tricks for buying?