General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike dilemma what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM
HDFatboy98
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike dilemma what to do?

Well ladies, gents I have a question for everyone. Lately I've been eyeballing the vrod muscle and now the idea has become an itch. I was just wondering what you all think about the vrod(current owners chime in whenever). I have a fatboy right now and have been wanting more power and I'm thinking I can get that from the vrod. I like my fatboy but I'm torn between the two. I talked to the guy at the dealer and I told him I would come up there Monday to see what kind of deal we can work out. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HDFatboy98
Well ladies, gents I have a question for everyone. Lately I've been eyeballing the vrod muscle and now the idea has become an itch. I was just wondering what you all think about the vrod(current owners chime in whenever). I have a fatboy right now and have been wanting more power and I'm thinking I can get that from the vrod. I like my fatboy but I'm torn between the two. I talked to the guy at the dealer and I told him I would come up there Monday to see what kind of deal we can work out. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
Figure out how much of a hit your are going to take on the trade ( also consider the extra cash to get vrod.) and then figure how much upgrade to your motor are going to cost to get the power you want. If one number is much higher than the other, then go with the lower cost. If they are about even, then choose the bike you feel most comfortable with. JMHO. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gonna need to change your username.

Define "wanting more"

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
dking909
Tourer

get what you want

Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Ockam
Tourer

I have had the same itch for awhile and have done a bit of "research" into it, as well as asked actual riders of the Vrod.

Never pay more than $10K for one, because their depreciation is so bad. in truth, not a whole lot of serious upgrades have happened over the years, so no reason to buy new.

Now this is all rhetorical, and only based on what I have personally found and came to the opinion of:

The VROD has the following positives:
1. One of the best Engines and drive trains on any Harley.
2. Terrific reliability...so much so that it is often overlooked.
3. Speed, power, yeah its got it...tons of it.
4. Despite looks, with a seat upgrade, it is a comfortable bike for the rider.
5. Everyone who owns and currently rides a VROD has a very positive response when asked about their bike.

The downsides:
1. The weight to power ratio is terrible when compared to metrics (who use a frameless engine mount and light weight, less durable parts.
2. Passengers are never comfortable, no matter what you do about the seat.
3. 3.5 gallon tank under the seat, it gets more efficient the faster you go, but on slab that's windblast and the parachute effect without a windscreen.
4. Not as much can be done when customizing.
5. Low resale value. they don't hold their value like the big Vtwins, sort of like a Sportsters depreciation.

Anyway, my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

See www.1130cc.com they are the VRod experts. Lot of good things and info on that site. Fierce loyalty to the VRod brand

I personally have had 2 aircooled HD's 06FXST and 10 Road King

Got my old V Rod back (I've had it twice now) don't miss aircooled at all. They can be set up for anything from solo riding to two up long distance touring

Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 PM
HDFatboy98
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry bored I guess when I say wanting more I mean more quickness/power. Im not all that sure what can really be done on the evos but who knows. With the whole bad depreciation topic being discussed that's a real turn off.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been on the lookout for a Night Rod Special for a while. When the right deal comes along I wouldn't mind adding it to the stable.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't mind having a Vrod as a second bike but no way would it replace my softail

Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,660 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Well, even though it says Harley-Davidson on the tank, I don't really consider a V-Rod a Harley, in a "Harley" sense of the word. If I was going for speed, I'd go all the way & get a SERIOUS muscle bike, like a V-Max, or a 'Busa.

I have ridden a couple V-Rods, & wasn't impressed. Don't like the looks at all; the power is good, but very little torque, and it feels like a mini-bike. I'd pass.

Quick Reply: bike dilemma what to do?