General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit by a 17 year old

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:10 AM
Biker90
|
Road Warrior
Default Got hit by a 17 year old

So Tuesday morning me and the wife decide to take the day and go riding on a beautiful sunny 85 degrees day. I fill up the ride and head up old 17 to 17-A up towards greenwood lake, I get up to the top of twisty windy part of 17-A and keep to the right towards Warwick, as I shift in to 2nd gear I notice a car coming up from the right intersecting road so I ease on the throttle even though they have a stop sign and I don't, and seeing that that car came to a stop I proceed picking up speed and unbelievably I watch the driver stop and look to the right but never bother looking left and she accelerates away from the stop sign heading right for me. Now if I was by myself I might of been able to take a more evasive maneuver and maybe run off on the shoulder but I had my wife with me so I started beeping the horn, yelling at the top of my lungs, braking hard but nada she just kept coming.
She hit the bike from a side front angle sending me over the handlebars and across the road while my wife stayed on the bike and was able to walk away with only a bruise to the right leg where the car hit. And luckily for me I flew off the bike because when the dust settled the car was on top of the bike (right where my leg would of been) with a torn bumper and busted radiator.
We were taken to the hospital and my wife is just a lucky devil and got away with a bruise.
I on the other hand have a fractured rib chest contusion major internal bruising and pinched nerves on my leg major bruising on the leg where the car hit me and some road rash on my hands i also got a good bump on the head and the helmet has a crack on it.
The officer who called me the day after and took the report told me that it was a 17 year old girl who had just gotten her license and she claimed that "she just simply didn't see the bike and she heard me yelling but didn't know where the yelling was from" but there was a eye witness that gave a statement he was in the car behind her at the stop sign and couldn't believe that she just pulled away when he clealy saw us coming ( this is a big open intersection no trees or brush blocking view ) and this was 12:30 in the afternoon on nice dry sunny day.
So now I'm laying drugged up and in excruciating pain.
The bike is totaled as the engine guard (which by the way saved my leg) was bent so hard that it ripped in to the frame.
Here is a picture I took as I was waiting for the ambulance:

here are a few taken at the shop after it was towed:

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:16 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

glad your here to bitch about it still

glad your wife is AOK

sorry to hear about the accident, it really sucks when you see it happening

insurance will take care of the bike and hopefully you and the wife have many more miles ahead of you

yeah it doesn't take much to total these things any more

be sure you add up all your accessories on that thing, cause since they totalled it all of that is fair game for your value

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:21 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The main thing is you and your wife walked away. It does make me sick to my stomach to see what she did to such a nice looking bike.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:26 AM
Sad Sam
Intermediate

Unbelievable how stupid people are.
Glad the wife is OK and you're still around. Hope you heal up quick.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:30 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Totaled?? Meh, that will buff out!

Seriously, glad you're OK. Sounds like you did everything you should/could have, once again proving, even when you ride the right way, you can still get taken out.

Did you have gap insurance? Considering your present financial situation, are you gonna replace the bike?

Good luck on your recovery.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:31 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

That sucks man. Glad to hear you guys will be ok though. Another example of a chick that can't drive. It seems like it is about 90% chicks doing stupid **** like this. Maybe they are just not wired to drive cars?

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:31 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

That sucks, take it easy, and get some good physical therapy. Don't sit around to long, it makes your full recovery harder. I am glad your wife was unhurt.

You will get lots of replies about texting and cell phones, but as you said she just failed to look, her fault. Work with her insurance company, to see if they will offer a reasonable amount to cover your injuries.

On my daughter's graduation day, we were fallowing her to graduation. there was a couple of cars between us. My daughter stopped at a light, behind about 5 cars, the car behind her stopped, and the girl in front of us never hit her brakes. she slammed into a car a car at 50 mph. That car hit my daughters pickup, my daughters pickup pushed forward about 10 feet and bumped the pickup in front of her. It was lucky everyone was going to graduation, including the girl that caused the accident, no one was hurt. Everyone got to graduation, we gave the grandparents in front of us a ride.
Teenagers just don't pay attention to the road. 20 years ago, teenagers did not pay attention, 20 years from now they will not either, just more of them.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:38 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

You guys were very lucky!

Make sure your all healed up before settling with the insurance company.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:40 AM
krwould
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

Sucks man.... I see it all the time and I wonder how these people get their driver license!

Speedy recovery to you and yours, a new bike in the near future I see...

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:41 AM
Blackfly
Road Master

Wow, sorry and heal well. your wife was lucky I think. This should be required reading in every school in the country, along with Black Pharoah''s story, etc.
As for it being a girl thing, I don't think so. When a guy started looking at me and moving into my lane aiming his left bumber at my leg the other day, I laid on the horn and yelled too. When I caught up with him at the light to ask WTF ? he said- "just ride" at which point I punched his driver window and told him to get the f*** out of here fast- he did. S*** head.

Quick Reply: Got hit by a 17 year old