General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit by a 17 year old

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012 | 11:17 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sounds like a better ending to this story than most, good to hear of a positive outcome from what could have been so much worse. I had a head on with a new 16 year old boy driver, in traffic, no where to go, and most lucky of all, was in a Ford and not on two wheels. His Nissan just bounced off my Ford, hardly felt it. No one was hurt, so it may have been a good lesson for the kid (and a chunk out of his Dad's pocket for insurance...). None of the kids I grew up with had accidents, but so many do now; and in the 60's there were a lot more of us. Too many distractions? They just seem so careless. My own daughter was scaring me till one day a woman blew through a yield sign at an intersection and we barely missed her; my daughter was amazed, said, but I had the right of way! Told her, that's why I've been telling you to pay attention! It finally sunk in, and she started paying attention to what was around her after that. Too many kids get that lesson along with blood & twisted metal.

Old 09-30-2012 | 01:12 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Glad you guys are OK. It hurt to see the bike pics, but when you're better it's time to go shopping. Hit their insurance HARD!

Greenwood Lake is my old riding area--9A, 17, Seven Lakes Drive, Sterling Forest, Bear Mountain, Highland Falls. Some of the most beautiful riding in the country.

My Mom & Dad had their honeymoon at Motel on the Mountain. Is it still there?

Old 10-01-2012 | 09:41 AM
Biker90
|
Road Warrior

Not sure if its the original motel but there is still a motel there. The bike ended up getting fixed to the tune if $14,356.00, new frame, new everything besides the motor and drive components.

Old 10-01-2012 | 12:09 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I drive tractor trailer. I drive about a 100K a year. I have driven for 17 years.Never had an accident. So about a month ago I was pulling out of a truck stop. As I start out into the road I see a flash go past the hood of my Peterbilt...It was a guy on a H-D. Now I know I looked before I pulled out. He came around the corner and shot between me and the gaurdrail. He looked at me like WTF? And I thought the same thing about him. I am very careful all the time. My point is **** HAPPENS!!! I could have driven over him very easily. Luckily nothing happened. It did make realize how easy it is to not see a SCOOTER!!!!

Old 10-01-2012 | 12:18 PM
CrossBone
Novice

Originally Posted by Dans03RKC
I drive tractor trailer. I drive about a 100K a year. I have driven for 17 years.Never had an accident. So about a month ago I was pulling out of a truck stop. As I start out into the road I see a flash go past the hood of my Peterbilt...It was a guy on a H-D. Now I know I looked before I pulled out. He came around the corner and shot between me and the gaurdrail. He looked at me like WTF? And I thought the same thing about him. I am very careful all the time. My point is **** HAPPENS!!! I could have driven over him very easily. Luckily nothing happened. It did make realize how easy it is to not see a SCOOTER!!!!

That's why I'm making it a habit to not get in a hurry. No need for pulling a manuver like that between a guard rail and semi. Semis are special cases for me, I give them tons of time and room, even if it slows me down to a crawl. I'll get around eventually, no hurry.

My first ride in a rainstom the other day surprised me. Most people in vehicles gave me at least two car lengths buffer behind me. Only one tool rode my *** in the rain, and I slowed down an made him pass me.

Thanks for being an extra watchful driver.

Question.. anyone else notice your riding habits transferring over to how you drive your vehicle? I kinda remember something similar with dirt bikes but nothing near this obvious. Also, does driving a vehicle feel strange at times after riding alot?

Last edited by CrossBone; 10-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2012 | 12:21 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I have always been careful around bikes. If im in the truck or my pick-up. This just kinda made me stop and think how easy it is for someone not to see a Bike...Really scared me..To be honest.

Old 10-01-2012 | 12:42 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Glad to hear you are doing OK and the bike is all set now

Old 10-01-2012 | 01:04 PM
Jonas
Cruiser

Glad to read you and your wife are okay.

One of my biggest fears is pulling out in front of a bike. It's a reminder, when your in you car, focus on driving. It is really is a matter of life and death.

I have two kids driving. One is 16, the other 20. My son at 17 pulled in fron tof a car. Similiar he looked left, right, but not left again. She swerved light contact. I explained to him if it had been a bike. He could have killed me. I need to reinforce a couple messages to them today. Dropping the wheels in the gravel is another big one for new drivers. Over correct and into uncoming traffic.

Old 10-01-2012 | 03:47 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain

Thanks for the update.
I'm glad you are happy with the repairs and back in the saddle again.

Old 10-01-2012 | 04:50 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master

Tuff break, being there then. Could have been a lot worse though....your lucky in that respect. Being banged up, your now intitled to being pampered and waited on. Be careful on this forum, these boys are crack ups.....and you don't need to laugh for a few more weeks till the ribs knit.