General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit by a 17 year old

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:26 AM
Wv7o
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
sorry to hear of your situation and glad that your wife wasn't injured and you will heal up and ride again.

i've got to disagree with a lot of posters on here though. this was not an accident. this was negligence, pure and simple.
I'm in agreement with skratch on this.

Glad you and the wife are not worse than you are, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:51 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Glad it wasn't any worse for you and the wife. Hope you both heal fast and get right back out there.

Old 07-14-2012 | 01:58 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Most important both of you will ride again...that's nasty. Get well soon and get right back on that horse!

Old 07-14-2012 | 02:06 PM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

Glad you both came out talking about it. Hope you heal quick and get a fair deal from her insurance company.

Old 07-14-2012 | 04:14 PM
carlofwine
Intermediate

I was involved in a Motorcycle accident along with my friend..Last month.He lost his life, and i survived. I had seen the whole thing unfold before my eyes......both bikes were totaled, I sustained 4 bruised Ribs, a light concussion and a foot broken in 3 places..all caused by a motorist in a car crossing a double yellow line and hitting my friend head-on. I had struck my friends bike as it was sent towards me,unable too avoid it. it was a brutal accident. I'm glad to hear that you & your wife will heal.
Seems to me there is a bigger problem of cagers not paying attention even more so, than in the past..I believe the laws need to change in accidents where driver inattention is dealt with a little more severely, then again i'm still abit pissed and upset about the whole thing. I'm still in a cast at this point

Old 07-15-2012 | 03:01 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain

glad to hear that your wife ended up OK.
very glad to hear that you didn't end up worse off.
the more I hear these stories, the more I'm glad I put on an engine guard, even if they seem "uncool" to some. they seems to help in more ways than one.
and dammit, I HATE KID DRIVERS!!

Old 07-15-2012 | 03:16 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

I worked as a Road Supervisor back in college and did accident reports for the local Transit system. You'd be amazed at the number of people that rear ended 11 ft tall, 8 ft wide silver with yellow and blue striped passenger buses and admitted that they didn't see the bus!

Sounds like that girl may have looked right at you, ( or thought she did,) and because she was thinking about something else she still never really saw you and just proceeded on.

I'm not a lawyer/trial happy person, but with the physical injuries along with the totaled bike, a lawyer might be the smart way to go.

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2012 | 10:12 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer

Man, that sounds exactly like what happened to one of my students' dad. Some 16 year old girl who had her license for all of two weeks ran a stop sign and hit him hard. Sadly, he ended up losing the leg, but survived the crash. I'm glad to hear that you and your wife are going to be OK. Heal up and get back out there.

Old 07-16-2012 | 02:43 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Crazy you just started that thread about possibly giver her up last week. I'm so glad you're okay for the most part, and glad to hear you'll be getting a new bike again.

I can't say anything about the girl that hit you. It sucks. I'll tell you this much, if she was MY daughter she wouldn't be driving again without me in the car. Clearly she needs help, and doesn't understand how important it is to watch out.

I'm am so thankful you guys are okay. I know I said it once, but that's the truth twice over.
I guess it is true Our hevenley Father works in mysteryous ways.
Thanks be to Him your wife and you are alive to to tell of his Grase.

Old 07-16-2012 | 05:28 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Did they call the bike totaled? Im so glad your OK. Ok as for the bike, my brother had a worse deal with his UC, and they ended up fixing it to the tune of 3 months wait in the shop for all the parts. Was someplace in the 7-8k range for parts alone. Guess it depends on the bike or the Ins company. Because its an HD theres a very good bet it would be fixed, then again, the Ins companycan part it out or sell it wholesale, hell ive seen em do that and have a regular title to go with it.

Guess it all depends.

Quick Reply: Got hit by a 17 year old