Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing faith in dealers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Losing faith in dealers...

I've been pretty positive about the local dealer but now I'm having my doubts.

First, I needed to replace the rear brake shoes on the FXST I just sold. The dealer's shop guy quoted $55 for the shoes and $75 to install them. But after he looked at the bike he said I needed a new disc because mine was scored. I felt the surface and it wasn't bad at all. Okay says I, I have a new pull-off disc off my Fat Boy. Sorry says he, we only install new parts that you buy from us -- so now we are up to more than $300.

Went to a local indy and the total cost for parts and labor was forty five bucks. Gave the guys a $10 tip and the brakes work fine.

New Harley tire on the front? More than $275 installed. That's crazy...

Harley Financial told me when I called them that if I wanted to sell a bike financed by them, just bring the total payoff to the dealer with the buyer and they would take care of it on the spot. Called the dealer and their finance guy just laughed at me and basically told me I was an idiot. Called Harley Financial and they said, oh, our mistake on not being clear enough, that's only if your buyer in financing through us.

Bottom line is I'm getting away from all things "Official Harley." Didn't use them when I was a kid and we just fixed things out in the garage, don't know why I forgot that part. Dealers do = Stealers more times than I thought...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I think many of us can relate.

I've had some rough goes at my dealer, but I've gotten to know the guys working there, and they don't really try to pull fast ones on me anymore.

That said, I do as much of my own work as possible, and I've got a few friends as well that have had their bikes worked on in my garage too. This year, I had tires put on my Street Glide, and I can't remember the exact cost, but I know it was high enough. Also had two tires mounted on just rims too, and that was $70.

Long story short, all this prompted me to purchase a tire changer with a buddy of mine. We both have two bikes, and hate to think of how much we'd keep spending at the dealerships.

Bottom line, they're there to make money. I'll let someone else help pay their bills though!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have lost so little faith in just about all mechanics that I own my own engine stand and engine hoist. At least if I screw it up I have no one to blame but me and I'm going to be honest with myself and say "Yea, I screwed up." instead of some infintile run-around.

Some things I have no choice at the moment. I have no tire changer and space in my garage is non-existant to work on big stuff (One car garage with a car, two bikes, and all my tools in it) so right now I have to rely on mechanics to a point...but I don't like it.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Bottom line is I'm getting away from all things "Official Harley."
You are not alone.
Dealers are the last resort.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM
satman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this a tough one - a good friend of mine is a dealer - not HD but about every other brand. M/C dealers in general have a tough time making a buck - You have lots of people coming in trying on jackets, helmets, gloves and then saying thanks I'll think about it and buying the stuff of the internet - after wasting 1/2 hour of the salesman's time and picking his brain about what to buy. You have people buying parts off the internet and wanting them installed - service customers trying to get mechanics to come over their house and work on bikes after the shop closes. Everybody wants a raise and wants better hours and better health plans.
I think anyone in retail has a tough time today.
On the other hand I think some dealers REALLY abuse their customers and deserve the term stealers. They have parts people that don't know parts - service techs that miss really obvious stuff and this list can go on and on. Personally I have a service manual and do everything I can myself - got a great indy for most everything else - but I do go to dealers still. Just sayin it's tough

Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
First, I needed to replace the rear brake shoes on the FXST I just sold. The dealer's shop guy quoted $55 for the shoes and $75 to install them. But after he looked at the bike he said I needed a new disc because mine was scored. I felt the surface and it wasn't bad at all. Okay says I, I have a new pull-off disc off my Fat Boy. Sorry says he, we only install new parts that you buy from us -- so now we are up to more than $300.

Went to a local indy and the total cost for parts and labor was forty five bucks. Gave the guys a $10 tip and the brakes work fine.
Did he also replace the bad disc or are you still riding on it? As for only installing new parts, I can't blame them one bit. I know you won't believe this, but it's not because they want to rake you over the coals on parts profit. It's for liability reasons. Someone brings them crap, they install crap and then the crap goes bad, who gets blamed for it and is held responsible? Yup, they are.

Harley Financial told me when I called them that if I wanted to sell a bike financed by them, just bring the total payoff to the dealer with the buyer and they would take care of it on the spot. Called the dealer and their finance guy just laughed at me and basically told me I was an idiot. Called Harley Financial and they said, oh, our mistake on not being clear enough, that's only if your buyer in financing through us.
I'm confused. How is this the dealer's fault?

Bottom line is I'm getting away from all things "Official Harley." Didn't use them when I was a kid and we just fixed things out in the garage, don't know why I forgot that part. Dealers do = Stealers more times than I thought...
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I've never had a bad experience with my dealer so, I certainly wouldn't call them a "stealer", but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Man this a tough one

Originally Posted by satman
Man this a tough one - M/C dealers in general have a tough time making a buck - You have lots of people coming in trying on jackets, helmets, gloves and buying the stuff of the internet and wanting them installed - I think anyone in retail has a tough time today.
Just sayin it's tough
The lowest price - The best service - The quickest turn around - Instantanious gratification -

Take your choice! NOBODY can provide it all, and make a living doing it. While yes, you can get a better price (sometimes) on the web, a mechanic won't guarantee the job with someone else's parts! While you can do it yourself (provided you're able) right now, a competent mechanic might have other jobs promissed out before yours.

I might suggest you find a competent mechanic, treat him fairly (like you would want to be treated) and work WITH him to accomplish your goals. Either that or just do it yourself! If all that matters is that you can get it for a nickle less on the web - well, never mind. I'll just take the high road!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Dealers are there to make money. It's a business. And it's a very expensive business to be in. So their prices will never be as low as an indie. They could never survive just doing favors for their customers. Even an occasional favor is costly. So I don't think of them as "stealers". And I'd hate to think where I'd go to get qualified work done when my bike breaks. It's the price of having fun.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,925 Likes on 6,646 Posts

The local dealer and I have an understanding...You don't try to sell me an overcooked Twinkie, and I won't ask you for wear-item/replacement Shovel and Evo parts.

We both seem quite happy with this arrangement.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,834 Likes on 4,956 Posts

as far as bringing any part into any shop...you don't take eggs into the resturant to have them make an omelet, such is the fact you shouldn't bring parts to the mechanic. I won't ever put on a customers part,(unless it is some custom special part) but any service/repair stuff, my parts or next time you pass by, please do

Quick Reply: Losing faith in dealers...