General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail vs Touring

I'm thinking of getting another bike to go with the SportyXL1200C I have now. The Sporty's a blast and will keep it for the fun factor and for the wife to ride,but it's become apparent that any serious traveling will require a big twin. I'm just wondering if a softail like a Fat Boy would be fine, or should I get Touring bike like a Road King?

And also what are your thoughts on new vs used?

Jeff

Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail vs Touring

I decided to go with the Classic...I liked the idea of the fixed fairing

[IMG]local://upfiles/19537/11C4630A2B894EFAB5B3665834DFF2F5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

My vote goes for the Street Glide

Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Bluerose

I recommend you go do some demos and take the wife for the demo...see what she likes too. Then rent what you are thinking of getting for a weekend.

I tour on my softail but the touring are a bit less bumpy on the highway..then again I don't deal with the vibration of the touring model engine at slow speeds on the softail.

Recommendations to try: Heritage, Road King, Road Glide, and one of the EGs ora Street Glide. They each have thier own pluses and minuses.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

You can tour with a softail or a bagger. When you are on a really long haul, and you hit about 500 miles in a day you'll probably wish you had the big bagger. I like my deuce, but wished I had an electra glide or something like that when I took a cross country ride. The wind protection and baggage capacity (especially if you are carrying stuff for two people) can really make a trip more comfortable. If you mostly take long day trips around your home town, a softail would probably be ok. A big fairing would probably make bad weather riding more tolerable.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
SiLlY
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great unbiased answerbluerose! That's exactly what I would advise.

None the less, my biased answer is go with the tourer! lol [8D] jk..

Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Snobal
Tourer

Jeff,

After riding your Sporty for while, all of the big twins will feel heavy to you when you first get on them. Test drive every model you think you may be interested in and get what feels right to you.

Everyone has their favorite and will suggest that model. The only important thing is that HD's no longer hold their value like they did in the past sochoose wisely.

Since the '07's came out, thereis a good selection of usedTC88 bikesat much more affordable prices. Do some research and save yourself $10,000.00 or so by getting a used bike. The 2000 to 2003 models are an excellent buy and a good oneshould last as long as you want to keep it. JMHO.

BTW, if you really want to do some touring, try a Road Glide, Classic, or Ultra

Old 01-14-2007, 11:43 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a Heritage Softail and now and Electra Glide. The touring models are hands down more comfortable on the road. Very easy to adjust the air shock and tailer the ride to your needs at the time, two up vs solo, sporty back road vs interstate. Test ride/rent a road king, road glide,and electra glide.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Fastlane
Tourer

I say Touring for the best ride, and try looking at a Ultra, Street Glide style bike.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

You can tour with a softail or a bagger. When you are on a really long haul, and you hit about 500 miles in a day you'll probably wish you had the big bagger. I like my deuce, but wished I had an electra glide or something like that when I took a cross country ride. The wind protection and baggage capacity (especially if you are carrying stuff for two people) can really make a trip more comfortable. If you mostly take long day trips around your home town, a softail would probably be ok. A big fairing would probably make bad weather riding more tolerable.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Quick Reply: Softail vs Touring