General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls for a beginner are...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Forward controls for a beginner are...

good or bad? Scootergrrl is kinda tall and her new sporty has mid controls. I think mids make it easier to control the bike in turns and stuff, but she insists on having forwards and thinks it will be easier. I guess I ahve to get her some forwards sooner rather than later as I was thinking. I still think that for a beginner mids are better. Anyone else have an opinion on this. Oh yeah, and when I say beginner she jsut took MSF last weekend.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 PM
hd55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Forward controls for a beginner are...

I prefer to lean in on the tank and hold on,rather than get thrown back,especially at full throttle.So mid is what I like.I'm 5'11".

Old 01-14-2007, 05:37 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I learned on a Honda 750 with mid controls. When I switched to my forward controls on my Sporty it took me a while to get used to them. I didn't feel like my feet were underneath me. Now I could not ride a bike without them. But I would suggest getting really used to the bike and to riding before you to with forward controls.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:43 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to knock her riding abilities, you have much better balance with mid controls and you can get your feet down faster into a position to be able to support the weight of the bike. A compromise would be highway pegs for a while. If you can't find them pulling away from a stop, you won't be able to the forward pegs. New rider = safety first. Just my .02. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Bluerose

5' 8" and relearned with mids. Hubby got his first bike with mids and took a bit to get used to them. Personally I like the mids....though the forwards give you a less cramped feeling. I knew I was going with floor boards so I changed from pegs to boards not long after I got it.

She may have had forwards on the bike she used in the MSF course and it's just throwing her off a bit. For now I would say stick with the mids....change once she is comfortable getting out on the bike more. I agree with the better feeling of balance.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:15 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

My son is 5'11' I'm somewhat shorter but we both learned on the mid-control Sporty. He does fine on it. If you look at all the sport bikes Ducs, Triumph BMW and others the controls are mid to wayyy back for better control and clearance. The mid-controls also allow you to keep your feet under you for some increased steering input and rising off the seat if need be.

Last week i rode the sporty for a few hours and came back home and rode the RKC for a while. Needless to say a huge difference, the Sporty really keeps you in touch with the basics of riding and improves my skills in turning and cornering. I really believe the mids are the way to start and the safest way to learn because they give better control and balance.

Maybe some added highway pegs for streaching out on the long runs. That sporty will eat up the twisties though and I'm sure you'll both have fun on it.

Best of luck and stay safe, find a big empty, (jr. college?) parking lot and practice practice practice.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that forwards are for the more experienced rider. But on the other hand, I don't think it would be safe to be crowded either. I guess if her legs are long, and the mids crowd her, then you might want to tryout the forwards and see if she feels safer with them.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
airjoe
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife learned on a 750 H***a with mids. At about 500 miles we bought her a Dyna with mids. She lasted about 100 miles before we went to foward controls. That being said, I believe that she should stick with the mids until she is completely confortable with the bike. Don't push her too hard too fast.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
dmr
Road Master

well, i'm going to be the one who disagrees with the group. i feel one is more "comfortable" with what they learn on. if you learn to ride with forward controls, then the chances are very good, mid controls are going to feel awkward---and visaversa. my wifelearned on forwards and that's what she likes. she feels the mid controls are uncomfortable.
similarly, is learning to drive an automobile with a manual transmission. once youmaster how to properly shift thegears, "steering" an automatic is no fun. so then considering the topic of discussion, please permit me to ask; isdriving an automobile with a manual transmission for more experienced drivers?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
jonny ebola
Road Captain

I started out with forward controls last summer. never had a problem. they don't feel forward ENOUGH anymore.

Quick Reply: Forward controls for a beginner are...