General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls for a beginner are...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
LittleBsMomma
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Forward controls for a beginner are...

I'm 5'7 and started out with the mids but my legs would get cramps after riding for and hour or so and the pegs were right in the way of my feet when I put them down. I switched to forwards last season and I really like them better, and actually wish they were more forward another few inches.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
The Punisher
Banned

She should put some time in on the mids and get really comfortable with riding before switching to forward controls. I think you have much more control in the turns with the mids. You should be experienced before making the switch. You have to walk before you can run the old saying goes.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
SportyN
Road Captain

I am a newbie also and I have forward controls on my bike. I don't have a problem with them.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM
SiLlY
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe she should learn on what she plans to ride all the time. Mids to Forwards is not an upward stepping stone.

Don't prolong the learning experience by introducing unnecessary stages. Learn what your going to ride once. That's my opinion!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

bump...for scooter to read...

Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my wife an 03 883 Hugger, as her bike and something to get me back into riding after about twenty years of raising kids. It had mid controls and that was fine cause everything meteric I had been on before was that way. She has knee degeneration issues and couldn't get her legs under her, so I put ona set of Kurakyn forward controls, to no improvement for her. That is why she has the trike. I like theforward controls, being over 6 feet tall. Riding the Sportster with foward controls makes itseem like a recliner and less like a dinner chair, in position. My rump does rolland I feel lower in the saddle.

I feel a great deal of position difference between her 01 E Glide and My 96 E Glide.

So.. If she has a chance to sit on one or sign up for a demoat the dealer or try a buds, I'd try that before you change.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/C702D95C5A5C4763AA1B91BB5B8D88F2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dmr

well, i'm going to be the one who disagrees with the group. i feel one is more "comfortable" with what they learn on. if you learn to ride with forward controls, then the chances are very good, mid controls are going to feel awkward---and visa versa. my wife learned on forwards and that's what she likes. she feels the mid controls are uncomfortable.
similarly, is learning to drive an automobile with a manual transmission. once you master how to properly shift the gears, "steering" an automatic is no fun. so then considering the topic of discussion, please permit me to ask; is driving an automobile with a manual transmission for more experienced drivers?
I'm with you, dmr. If you start on forward controls on a regular basis, you'll be more used to it and should be just fine. You'll learn how to control the bike you'll be using. You won't have anything to compare it to that might throw you off.

I felt much more comfortable on the Dyna Low Rider I rented than the Buell Blast I learned on at the Harley MSF course, and that's almost 1000cc's difference in engine size. I felt more in control of the Dyna because I was able to sit on it more comfortably than the Blast. Granted the Dyna has mid controls, but I used the highway pegs quite frequently. I am definitely partial to forward controls, especially to accommodate my 6' frame. To me, more comfort equals more control. The more comfortable you are in the saddle of your sled, the more control you'll have.

Anubisss, let Scooter at least give it a shot at a dealership on something with forwards. She may like it better and it may help her confidence in the saddle get stronger quicker.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Always rode mids. Bought wideglide with forwards and then extended them 3 ". Took some getting used to. I think she would too. I am 6' and long legged.. On long rides my back does get tired with the forwards but when it does I just place my feet on the passenger pegs for a while to give it a rest. Another advantage I have found with the forwards, is the wind resistance on the inside of the thighsis not a great, therefore not causing soreness from holding my legs tight against the bike.Even with the stock forwards I had this problem. I even put heel rests on mine. Gives your legs more positions to move around. Can move them forward or back about 3". The morepositions I have to place my feet, makes the ride more enjoyable. Matter of comfort. Let her decide.