General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Daytona Bike Week - March
9.39%
Myrtle Bike Week - May
8.16%
Sturgis - August
46.94%
Biketoberfest - Oct
4.49%
Myrtle Bike Fall Rally - Oct
2.86%
Local Chapter/State/ Rally
13.47%
NONE
14.69%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Which rally would you go to ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:10 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which rally would you go to ??

It's correctly spelled.....

now
ORIGINAL: IzzoQuazzo

Sorry, my poor attempt at a joke. The Poll poster spelled it StRugis. I've been to StUrgis.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:13 PM
IRready
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HDWG

I would have to vote Sturgis... Never been but, hear the same stuff about it from everyone and it is all good. Did Daytona last year and was not impressed at all, wish I did not spend the $$ we did. We did have fun with the folks we were with...but, it is just riding from bar to bar really. Each bar has a vender area..biker garb, bands then you go to the next one and it is pretty much the same. The riding pretty much sucks, flat straight roads with palm trees they say the loop is a great ride???? it is short and it is a bit senic but not like what you will get up north! Will not do it again....unless I win the friggin lottery, have the time and money and nothing else to do
Thanks for that! I was considering using vacation to check out Daytona this year. Looks like I will plan a different route. As for Sturgis, I have done it twice. Lots of the same stuff but the ridingcan benice. I would recommend going early(maybe even other time then rally) and ride the sites. Lots of great roads there and very nice riding. During the rally, it is not much fun to ride as there are too many bikes and hard to really enjoy the ride orscenery. I did go a week early once and the riding was better but still very busy. If you want a lifetime experience, go to Galcier Park in Montana. "Highway to the Sun" and others roads will leave a permanent memory that is better then any rally IMHO. [8D]

Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Kentucky post was put up as a joke
as there is also Too Broke for Sturgis Rallys in Texas and Arizona

there are many rallys all you have to do is look at your Pocket book and location as to time available
do what is appealing and affordable to you

as for myself I will be doing the Redwood Run , Holister , Sturgis , In Memory of Fallen Bikers, Laughlin ,
Rips Bad Ride LA, Rips Bad Ride NorCal. and a few more

Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

I have heard the same thing...a guy actually told me that someone would be better off to fly down, enjoy the party, the weather and leave the bike at home....if you want to ride and have fun...sturgis is where to go

I would have to vote Sturgis... Never been but, hear the same stuff about it from everyone and it is all good. Did Daytona last year and was not impressed at all, wish I did not spend the $$ we did. We did have fun with the folks we were with...but, it is just riding from bar to bar really. Each bar has a vender area..biker garb, bands then you go to the next one and it is pretty much the same. The riding pretty much sucks, flat straight roads with palm trees they say the loop is a great ride???? it is short and it is a bit senic but not like what you will get up north! Will not do it again....unless I win the friggin lottery, have the time and money and nothing else to do

Old 01-14-2007, 04:19 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured it was
ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

the Kentucky post was put up as a joke
as there is also Too Broke for Sturgis Rallys in Texas and Arizona

there are many rallys all you have to do is look at your Pocket book and location as to time available
do what is appealing and affordable to you

as for myself I will be doing the Redwood Run , Holister , Sturgis , In Memory of Fallen Bikers, Laughlin ,
Rips Bad Ride LA, Rips Bad Ride NorCal. and a few more

Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
LT753
Road Warrior

I guess it would be Sturgis. I haven't got to do it yet, but hopefully I will over the next couple of years. I've done MB three or four times now and we always have a great time, but I want to do another one this year. We are planning to go do the thunder beach rally in the spring in Panama City and then maybe the fall MB again.

Lynn

Old 01-14-2007, 04:26 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Daytona is just at the right part of the year, itching to ride and all but, I can wait!! Have the Spring Breakers starting to come in middle of the week....I don't know 20 years ago it was probably great...

I am sure Sturgis is similar, venders and bars and that type of thing but, in looking online at planning out a trip up there this summer, that alone shows the difference!!! We have yet to decide if we are going for the rally or sometime before or, after...I do want to experence the rally someday but, if I use the time and money right now I would rather not deal with the crowds......I want to have a great laid back vacation and some great riding and save alittle $$ in doing it!! We may trail the bikes up and take the kiddos, and take them around on the bikes up there with us.
ORIGINAL: toyrider

I have heard the same thing...a guy actually told me that someone would be better off to fly down, enjoy the party, the weather and leave the bike at home....if you want to ride and have fun...sturgis is where to go

Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

Wife and I were actually thinking about doing the same thing in the summer.trailer out and tour around Rushmore, Yellowstone and over to the Teton Mountains and then loop back thru Colorado...probably could do that for the price of staying in Daytona for a week

Daytona is just at the right part of the year, itching to ride and all but, I can wait!! Have the Spring Breakers starting to come in middle of the week....I don't know 20 years ago it was probably great...

I am sure Sturgis is similar, venders and bars and that type of thing but, in looking online at planning out a trip up there this summer, that alone shows the difference!!! We have yet to decide if we are going for the rally or sometime before or, after...I do want to experence the rally someday but, if I use the time and money right now I would rather not deal with the crowds......I want to have a great laid back vacation and some great riding and save alittle $$ in doing it!! We may trail the bikes up and take the kiddos, and take them around on the bikes up there with us.
ORIGINAL: toyrider

Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Alot less!! and get more outta the time..better pics!! Less waiting to get into some of the sites!!

Should get a little group from the forum to start up a small meet up there this summer!!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:51 PM
The Punisher
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sturgis is definitely #1 on my dream list. Actually I would llike to make all of the major national rallies at least once in my lifetime so this year punishergirl and I are starting with the spring Myrtle Beach Bike Week and will work on cutting the list down every year.

We have a couple of decent local rallies like Gettysburg Bike Week, where we will be hosting the Mid-Atlantic HDforums Rally in July and then DELMARVA Bike Week in September in Ocean City, MD.

Quick Reply: Which rally would you go to ??