General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Beads

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dyna Beads

I put on a new Metzler ME 880 on the front of my FXST yesterday, to replace my worn smooth Dunlop D402.

I decide to go with Dyna Beads for balancing - never used them before. Lucky for me, the shop had the beads, but not the kit to put them in, so I just bought a package of beads. I put the tire together, aired it up, then took the valve back out and tried puttting in the beads through the valve stem. No luck at all - I tried tapping it with a screwdriver, vibrating it by pushing my portable air compressor against it, etc. - probably didn't get 10 beads through that way. I finally gave up on their method and pushed the tire back off the bead at the top and dumped in the whole bag (what I should have done to start with). I'd say 15-20% of the beads ended up on the floor.

So how many Dyna Beads really have to get into the tire anyhow?

Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe they call for 1-1.5oz in the frt tire, 2oz in the rear..

I had the same problem getting them into the metal valve stem. the hole at the very end of the stem is too small for the beads. since i didn't have the whl assy off to replace the tire i just drilled out the hole in the end of the stem. they went in fine after that.

if anyone wants to drill the hole out, the inside of the stem actually steps down/tapers down. i kept inserting drill bits until i found the one that would bottom out in the stem and not damage the internal threads of the stem . i believe it was 9/64..

I didn't have the install kit either. i just took a piece of paper and rolled it into a cone/funnel and poured them in.. SLOOOOOWLY !!!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I believe they call for 1-1.5oz in the frt tire, 2oz in the rear..

I had the same problem getting them into the metal valve stem. the hole at the very end of the stem is too small for the beads. since i didn't have the whl assy off to replace the tire i just drilled out the hole in the end of the stem. they went in fine after that.

if anyone wants to drill the hole out, the inside of the stem actually steps down/tapers down. i kept inserting drill bits until i found the one that would bottom out in the stem and not damage the internal threads of the stem . i believe it was 9/64..

I didn't have the install kit either. i just took a piece of paper and rolled it into a cone/funnel and poured them in.. SLOOOOOWLY !!!
Yeah, that was my problem. I could see the hole in the stem looked too small. I have less than 1 ounce of beads in it, for sure (since I only had an ounce before some went on the flooor. Some people say they don't use anything to balance, so I guess I'll ride it and see how it works.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

With a narrow front tire like yours (<130 mm), they only recommend 1oz, and that's to cover pretty much a worst case balance. If the tire would have normally needed 1/2oz of weight, the 1/2 oz of dynabeads is the same thing. You should be fine unless you have a badly out of balance wheel/tire combo.

BTW, it does take some practice to get those suckers to flow through the valve stem.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
With a narrow front tire like yours (<130 mm), they only recommend 1oz, and that's to cover pretty much a worst case balance. If the tire would have normally needed 1/2oz of weight, the 1/2 oz of dynabeads is the same thing. You should be fine unless you have a badly out of balance wheel/tire combo.

BTW, it does take some practice to get those suckers to flow through the valve stem.
Seems like, if you are changing tires anyhow, the way I did it might be a good alternative. I just pushed one edge of the new tire back at the top and dumped the whole bag into the center groove inside the wheel, then put the valve back in and blew up the tire - easy as pie, once I figured it out.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
stokes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no problem getting them in the valve.The install "kit" is just a piece of clear rubber tubing that fits over the valve stem and a vial with a cone shaped "nipple" that feeds the beads into the end of the tube.They go in slow,but went in no problem.I've had them in for 2 riding seasons and the tires are still very well balanced.When I first got them,I put them in new tires that had been balanced with the weights and I saw a noticeable improvement.I'll never use the standard weights again.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

I can't say if it was the dyna beads, the new Metzler tire or both, but I just rode about 75 miles at up to the low 80's on streets, country roads and interstate: MUCH, MUCH smoother than it has ever felt before. As soon as I started riding I was saying "holy &^%&^%, that's smooth."

The Dyna Beads may be hard to get in, but I guess they are worth it. The added bonus is no more glue-on weights on my Thunder Star wheels.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
ffatboy03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go. Cool and easy way to install the beads:

Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I just installed new tires on my bike, and used to take them to get balanced after I put them on. I tried "Ride-On" in them this time. It's for balancing and hole filling. I have a few thousand miles on them now and they seem to be balanced and smooth riding. As for punctures I don't have an opinion on how it works yet. It was easy to install in the tube. You can find info on Ride-On on the net, looks good on there. So far I'd say it's a good product.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer Ride On also. Balances the tires and I feel safer having tire sealant in both tires.

Quick Reply: Dyna Beads