General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012 | 07:07 PM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser
Default Buying a bike help

Greetings

I would of posted in the newbie section but I didn't want to just introduce myself.

I have had a 04 sportster 1200 for about 4 years now and well it is time to upgrade I think. First I am 6'2" and big so the sportster is too small for me and my *** complains alot from the seat. Was a great starter bike but time to move up.

So I am coming here looking for advice on finding a bike. Not sure what model just yet, probably a softail as I do not believe I can afford the middle line or top of the line. Living in the north (MI) makes it more difficult to spend alot on a 6 month at most activity.

My issues are that I do not know alot about bikes like most of you do.

I would have to run it past a hd mechanic.

Also wondering how I would deal with dealers if I found a bike I am interested in there.

I wanted to get this thread going, I am sure there is lots I have not thought about that you all will bring up.

Old 07-03-2012 | 07:26 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

Check with your local dealer and take some test rides. Help you focus in on models you might want to look for.

The seat thing... I've found for me at least on my softail the corbin seat is the best. Firm and wide eliminating hot spots. Almost like a horse saddle.

Old 07-03-2012 | 07:30 PM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser

hmmmmm I have a horse saddle, wonder if could do double duty lol

I am looking at some used ultra eltra glides as well. I like getting more, like the better bags and the sound system etc.

I will probably go for some test rides soon after this extreme heat and storms blow through.

Old 07-04-2012 | 06:19 PM
Tilter
Tourer

I would look at a Dyna over a softail any day. Much better handling, more power, better anti vibration and way cheaper. Two years ago I bought a 2008 super glide custom in east Lansing for $8000. Sold it the next year for $10,500. It had lots of chrome and pipes, pwe cmndr, air intake, bags, shield, etc. and I got it at a Harley dealer. Point is you can get me cheap and low mileage - it had like 7000 miles. If I was buying new I wouldn't get one as they don't hold value as well as softail or touring. Btw if you can somehow swing a used road king I think overall one are the best. But to get under ten on one of those you have to cut a few corners.

Old 07-04-2012 | 06:36 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Look for a RK...its the best of everything imo

Sound like we are about the same size and I find my RK perfect for in town riding and perfect for the open road...its the best of both

Old 07-04-2012 | 06:41 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

One thing you might find helpful is to determine what you expect from the bike in as much as what type of riding you want to do. Are you going to use for work commute, daily rider, planning on touring , trips , long or short, want to cruise in comfort and plan on putting add ons afterward (we all do). The different models are all motorcycles BUT some are designed to perform toward a specific type of riding perhaps more than others, for example the Dyna series are known for their handling , and you can certainly go across the country with one, but they are considered to be good sport riders (Keep in mind this a harley we are talking about and not a Import). It could be claimed the softail is the HD cruiser that is often copied by others for looks, and of course there are the Touring class. As has often been suggested , visit a dealer, throw a leg over a couple models, maybe take a test ride and determine "What is best bike for you".

Old 07-04-2012 | 11:13 PM
bluelineman
Tourer

I had my choices narrowed down to a Road King & Heritage. I was heavily leaning towards the RK. Then I went to a dealer & tried both. My opinion changed in a hurry in favor of the Heritage. It just fits me better (I'm 5'7"). My favorite mod so far is putting speakers & an amp on it. I like the saddlebags too. I've always got crap to carry with me. Go see what works best for you.

Old 07-05-2012 | 05:37 AM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser

I'm not one to tool around town, in fact I don't ride to work and the only town riding I do is to get out of it lol

I want to take trips, at least 4 hour trips during the week and on the weekends long long trips.

I too like dragging stuff with me like change of clothes, towel, toiletries lol

So I feel the need for something of size and most definitely comfort.

Old 07-05-2012 | 07:02 AM
painey
Road Warrior

Get a RK, I moved from a Fatboy to my RK and would never consider moving back.

I am a bit smaller than you but think you will find the RK a perfect fit!

Waiting for Sept to embark on my Roadtrip on the RK this year: Tampa - Chicago - LA

Oh and the deals are out there, I brought my unmarked, garage queen 07 RK with 10,000 miles 2 years ago for $11,500!

Old 07-05-2012 | 12:56 PM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser

Those of you buying, are you buying from dealers mostly ? or private sellers ?

Quick Reply: Buying a bike help