General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012 | 01:03 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

If you liked the sporty only it's just too small I suggest checking out the dyna line.
I absolutely love my street bob. It has mid controls and highway pegs so on longer rides comfort isn't an issue.
You can get quick release hard bags for them which is great for cross country runs. And they lock on to the bike so to remove is a simple click with the key and they are off.
I have a leather bag that ties on to the bitch bar for more storage on long trips.
And it looks fantastic. For me it's perfect. It cruises the city awesome and can do long trips really well.
Just my opinion.

Old 07-05-2012 | 01:21 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SmokerMI
hmmmmm I have a horse saddle, wonder if could do double duty lol

I am looking at some used ultra eltra glides as well. I like getting more, like the better bags and the sound system etc.

I will probably go for some test rides soon after this extreme heat and storms blow through.

Saw a guy use a kid's English style saddle on a pre unit triumph build was cool as hell. Had kind of a steam punk vibe excellent build quality too.

Old 07-05-2012 | 03:33 PM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser

main reason I am looking to upgrade

sporty too small for my build and the seat hurts like hell

I don't want another sporty like bike that will look small on me (or vice versa) or one with a small seat.

Old 07-05-2012 | 03:52 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

By the sounds of it, you are looking for either a RK or E Glide, lots of used out there, I would try private , and look to score a low mileage garaged bike, but keep in mind a fair number of folks who ride touring models , put some miles on them but also are pretty good at keeping them well maintained. Dealers might be worth checking out, but be prepared to play a bit, in order to get a walking out the door price. The market is pretty good right for used though. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-05-2012 | 05:16 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd look for a privately owned bike first as well.

Old 07-05-2012 | 09:33 PM
bluelineman
Tourer

Originally Posted by SmokerMI
Those of you buying, are you buying from dealers mostly ? or private sellers ?
I looked at dealers & none of them wanted to come down on the price. Ended up getting a pristine condition bike from a private seller.

Old 07-07-2012 | 08:42 AM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser

ok certainly sounds like the private seller is the route however I'm worried. I don't know enough to be sure that a bike is in good condition.

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:01 AM
mike5380
Road Master

My suggestion is a Road King, and if you can swing it, an 09 or newer. Lots of upgrades. You can add other stuff as you can afford it, like faring and sound system, touring pak, whatever. But, you'll be starting out with about the best touring bike possible.

Good Luck,

Mike

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:03 AM
SmokerMI
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mike5380
My suggestion is a Road King, and if you can swing it, an 09 or newer. Lots of upgrades. You can add other stuff as you can afford it, like faring and sound system, touring pak, whatever. But, you'll be starting out with about the best touring bike possible.

Good Luck,

Mike
OK how much for yours Mike ?

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:13 AM
mike5380
Road Master

Nice try, but please re-read my post. Doesn't say mines for sale, cause it's not.

And, my suggestion is a little biased, I've riden Sporty's, Dynas, and Softails. So, it took a while to figure out which one I REALLY liked. Just trying to show you a short cut through the learning curve.

Mike

Quick Reply: Buying a bike help