General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 40 Years of Riding I "hung 'em up" Today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After 40 Years of Riding I "hung 'em up" Today.

If you care to check some of my earlier posts you'll see that I "hung 'em up" once before. At that time I was concerned about my ability to control my bike following several surgeries.

Like everyone else, once you get the motorcycle "bug" it's hard to get rid of it. So I ventured back to a Heritage and when I found that a bit too much to handle, again because of the surgeries, I moved to a 2008 Anniversary Sportster.

I've just come back from delivering the bike to the new owner's home. And so, for the first time in 40+ years of riding, I face a future without a motorcycle. Time will tell if I've hung em up for good, or if come spring I'll try again. The decision this time is based on not having the time to ride, as well as swapping an after ride beer for a bottle of tylenol. Time isn't your friend.

And so, if I may, some observations about 40 years of riding:

1) You can never have too much training. I've taken dozens of classes over the years - MSF basic and advanced, several "track days" and professional classes (Keith Code Superbike School among them), and a special program available in NC - BikeSafe - the best training I ever had. It's an all day class with NC motorcycle officers riding with you and coaching you in the classroom over an 8+ hour day. It's free and the best training I've ever had. So why does all this matter? Well, last year, for the first time in all that riding I went from the "haven't fallen" crowd to the "yep, I've been down" crowd. It happened in an instant, my fault, solo rider, lack of judgement. Despite my mishap the classes I took saved my butt. I realized I was going down, and because of the training I was unhurt and kept what could have been a bad incident as nothing more than a very minor spill. Would I have done as well without the training? Don't know, but I know that with it I'm fine. Score one for following the Boy Scout "Be Prepared" motto. Moral: You may never need training, and you may think it "unmanly", but if the day ever comes when you are in a situation that demands skill and practice you may have a different opinion. I still shudder to think what would have happened if my wife was riding with me that day.

2) Gear - big controversy, lots of full face versus no helmet thoughts on the forum. I'm of the opinion that freedom means you can do what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else. So if you chose to ride without a helmet, that's your call. What I will say is that when I hit the ground my estimated speed was 25 MPH or less. Despite that minor speed my full face helmet was destroyed and the chin guard and face shield were both a mess. If I didn't have the helmet on I would have certainly hit my face. How bad I'll thankfully never know, but I'm glad I had it on then. And my padded jacket saved my shoulder (the one that was operated on twice) from any added damage and prevented a case of road rash. The boots were the biggest surprise - they were heavily scuffed from where my ankle was dragged when the bike fell on my foot. No damage to me, but a nasty gash in the boot. Again, to each his own, but for me I'm glad I had on what I did. Moral: We are totally free to do whatever we want, but we are totally responsible for everything that we do.

3) Regrets - this is the biggie for me. Over the years I have let perfectly good riding days go by, tied up with one thing or another. Some of that couldn't be helped - family comes first. But other time I thought there would always be another day to ride. Looking back on 40 years there were far less days to ride than I ever imagined. And the days I didn't ride can't be made up - no matter how much money I'll willing to spend now. Moral: Take nothing for granted and live life like today's the last day you'll ever have.

4) Balance - what do I owe to myself and what do I owe to family and friends? Another biggie for me, but I finally have learned that as much as I am part of a family and have responsibilities to others, I also have a responsibility to me. Now that I'm older, have some extra time and money, I can't get back the health I had years ago, or overcome the effects of aging as much as I thought I could. In itself these things aren't enough to stop me from riding, but my bride of 40 years has advanced arthritis and as much as she tries to "hang in there" rides over an hour long aren't comfortable for her. I can still ride alone, but it's not the same. Not when the back seat has been filled with her laughter and joy for 40 years. Moral: Life is short and the choices we make are what makes life a joy or a sorrow. Choose wisely.

Thanks to everyone on this forum. Over the years when I was down you collectively pulled me back up. When I was frustrated by lack of knowledge you provided it. When I was looking to "vent" you always listened. And when I was ready to quit you kept me going. I've owned lots of bikes over the years, been a member of many brand based forums, but there never has or ever will be a family like the one I found on this forum.

And as I "sail into the sunset" I'll be back from time to time. Getting my "family fix" and remembering when "those were the days".

Thanks again.

Last edited by lencap; 07-03-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Sounds like you made an informed decision....see you in a few years!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Things change and people change. Who knows maybe in a few months you will be back on another bike.

Your comment about good days to ride,but for some reason didn't struck a cord with me. When I'm sitting here in January with 6 inches of snow on the ground that is exactly what I think about.

Just because you don't currently have a bike doesn't mean that you have to leave the forums though. It might even help to get the itch to ride back.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take care lencap and my best to you and yours buddy.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good words to heed there, wish you the best, in the future , and whatever that may hold, but perhaps there may still be some ride left for you ....

Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I hope you mend well and your strength to ride returns in full , and then some!

Being a Biker is more than what you got- it's what you are, how you think and feel about riding.

On your strong days borrow or rent a bike or trike for a few putts- nothing is over until they close the lid.

Keep your gear and maintain it like you'll ride tomorrow, go to events, stay in the culture.

Stay on the forum-you've got a lot of experience and things to pass on.

Most of all, keep smiling and having fun- the best of times I've had were off the bike at camp outs and rodeos.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Sad Sam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some very good words of wisdom here. I hope that time proves your decision to be the correct one. If not, and you get the itch again, I also hope that you'll pick up another bike and you and your lady can enjoy some short trips together.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you...hope you find more days to ride

Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Well spoken my friend and best wish's on this part of your life's trek , sigh of a real man who can make the hard choices when time say's you need to .

PS , I'm all with you and the regrets part . The bikes been my life since 18 never been without one at least and eyes deep in everything that came it culture wise . Still love them but the joy has faded the last few years a bit , think I've taken time to smell the roses and do the family thing a bit too . Hasn't been bad for me anyway hope it's the same for you .

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said. I read your post twice and took special note of the 'regrets' portion. I've had a few, but I don't want to look back someday and wished I'd rode more...

Quick Reply: After 40 Years of Riding I "hung 'em up" Today.