General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 40 Years of Riding I "hung 'em up" Today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful post(s) on riding and life. Sounds to me like you'll be at peace whether you "hung 'em up" for good, or you find yourself back on two wheels. Be well.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
FireRider61
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lencap..beautiful post and may the wind and gods be with you and your loved one....Thank you for your thoughts and experience

Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

lencap,

That's got to be the best posting I've ever seen on this forum, it summarizes so much about life and riding and what it's all about. God Bless you and thank you for your contribution to the sport and to this forum. It would be an honor to have you remain here with us as this level of experience is an invaluable asset for those with less time in the saddle. Plenty can be contributed despite you being retired from riding. We'll all reach that day soon enough for various reasons. I started later in life but I love riding more than anything and live for it. I plan to ride until I just can't do it anymore, hopefully that day will be many years away, but we shall see.

All the best to you and thanks for your contributions here...

Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lencap:

We all hope you'll stay around and share of your experiences with us. 40 years of riding is a long time. We will all face what you're facing one of these days.

Have you considered changing WHAT and HOW you ride? In other words, do you just like riding, or does it have to be aboard a Harley and its attendant culture?

If it really needs to be an HD and its culture... then I guess that's it for a while.

However, IF you just love to ride, there are lighter bikes by the scads that can make great day trips or afternoon jaunts. It may not be an HD... but it's RIDING.

FWIW: Wife and I had to make a trip today to NW AR to see her aging parents. On our way we were talking this n' that. Saw a trailer with a couple of step-through scooters in the back. I laughed and said...

"Ya' know... when the time comes that I can't hold up our Ultra and we can't swing a leg over our dual sport bikes... we can still get a pair of those and do some scooter touring nearby!"

Frankly, I was half-serious. I just love the sensation of riding... I think I'd gladly ride a scooter if that's all I could afford or handle!!

Anyway... wish the very best for you in all you do and whatever your final decision may be.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Thank you very much for that post. I can't see myself there yet, but I know what you mean about family and regrets.

I wish you best in life, no matter where it may take you for on out. God bless.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Best of luck, I know its a ticking clock for myself.... Smart man knowing your limits.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
kdichs1015
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I hope to be able to do the same when the day comes that I hang it up.

Kevin

Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

Lencap......Thanks for sayin that.

and from the point of view of a 35 yr old with a little less than 20 yrs exp on streetbikes. sometimes I think of this forum as the worlds biggest biker bar, I can read the story's and get the advice, and learn about the machines from the people who were there. Weather you ride again or not is your call, but either way you feel free to drop in whenever ya want and share your experiences some of us love to hear about the days before every damn fool with a fat wallet rode a motorcycle

Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Phantom6722
Tourer

Lencap,
Very insightful and thoughtful post, gives me a goal to aim for, I’m not too far behind you. Stay safe, stay well and hope to see you back on the road sometime.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If two wheels becomes too difficult, why not consider three? As in, "trike", or perhaps something like the Can-Am Spyder, which looks to be a terrific machine.

I, too, am getting on in years, and I realize that at some point the heft of something like my Road Glide will become too much for me to handle.

I figure when that time comes, I'll either move to three wheels or something smaller with just two. Even a big scooter like a SilverWing could do.

Just yesterday, I stopped at a Triumph dealer for the purpose of looking at clothing and helmets. They had a Bonneville on the floor that seemed light as a feather, compared to the Glide. Nice machine, if one doesn't want to muscle the big iron around any more.

Quick Reply: After 40 Years of Riding I "hung 'em up" Today.