General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon Venom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avon Venom?

8500 kilometers (little over 5000 miles) and my rear sneaker on my new Heritage is looking nearly as bald as my head. These Dunlops lasted better on my Low Rider,but the Heritage is a bunch heavier. Since wifey and I are leaving on a 4000km journey next week,Im thinking of trying something different. I was talking to a guy at work thats an "iron butt" dude,the type that rides across the country in three days. He claims the Avon "Storm" gives him 20k before wearing out. Just looking at Avons website,I see they recommend the "Venom" for heavy cruisers. Have you tried one?

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/

Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Avon Venoms are known for their handling and stickiness, and that comes at the sacrifice of mileage.

The Metezler ME880's will give you noticeably better handling than the stock Dunflop tires and better tire life.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree, Avon venoms are sticky, but last 5k. Metz 880 are just as sticky & last twice as long.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I have had good luck with Venom tires. I got between 10 and 12K from the V rated tires and between 12 and 14K from the H rated ones. The H tires have 2/32 deeper tread. It is my understanding that the Venom line of tires are discontinued

Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK,what about the Avon Storm,anyone tried those? I think thats the one the guy at work was talking about,he rides a Kawasaki Concurse I think,a heavy bike.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Been running nothing but Avon tires pushing 30 yrs , my last Venom went 9K and I'm anything but a gentle rider I push them pretty hard .

Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i"ve got 'em on my ride and I have about 7000 miles on them> they still look very good. I am riding a dyna though. May make a little difference.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them , replaced the front with a metzler ,the rear weather cracked balding piece of crap avon venom on the rear is getting replaced this week ...venom ?? never again

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,847 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
I had them , replaced the front with a metzler ,the rear weather cracked balding piece of crap avon venom on the rear is getting replaced this week ...venom ?? never again
You're the first guy I've ever heard call an Avon tire a piece of crap.

The only complaint I've ever heard in the past is that Avon tires don't last very long in comparison to Dunlops and Metzlers. Avons are softer tires, and provider superior grip in my opinion...especially in wet weather.

I have Avon Cobras on my bagger, and I like them much better than the stock Dunlops. If they don't last as long as Dunlops or Metzlers, I don't give a ****. I'll just buy another pair when they wear out.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 That's pretty much how I feel. I'd rather sacrifice some mileage for performance. I've been riding Avon Venom's for years and I find them to be excellent, providing great grip particularly on bad road conditions, ie. tar snakes, metal bridges, roads which have had the surface removed waiting to be resurfaced ...

I typically get around 8,000 on a rear tire, so 5k sounds a bit on the low side.

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
You're the first guy I've ever heard call an Avon tire a piece of crap.

The only complaint I've ever heard in the past is that Avon tires don't last very long in comparison to Dunlops and Metzlers. Avons are softer tires, and provider superior grip in my opinion...especially in wet weather.

I have Avon Cobras on my bagger, and I like them much better than the stock Dunlops. If they don't last as long as Dunlops or Metzlers, I don't give a ****. I'll just buy another pair when they wear out.

Quick Reply: Avon Venom?