General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I Lay Me Down...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be hard to lay one down with anti lock brakes.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cheers

The following users liked this post:
usmc1267 (08-15-2019)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Funny thread.

Anytime I have read or heard someone say "I had to lay my bike down" I always kind of thought - No frekkin way and what are you nuts- but I don't say anything because I'm also thinking that maybe they had to ? Glad I read this thread because I know that others are thinking laying down the bike might be wacky. FWIW, I'd rather maneuver the bike and or brake properly.

Never laid down a bike but I flew over a car one time. I braked as much as I could and went over top of the car. I felt that If I had "Layed the bike down" I would of slammed into the car and I would be dead. ...Just sayin

Last edited by Totally Bored; 07-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by azblackbird
For those of you who are in the "I had to layer down" camp, here's a few pointers I learned years ago. I highly recommend practicing these steps, so when that moment comes that you have to "layer down", you will encounter few if any problems.

1. Point your front wheel in the direction you want to slide.
2. Stomp on the rear brake to induce a rear tire skid.
3. Use body english to command the sliding rear tire to kick out to the right side.
4. Keep your upper body upright as the rear wheel starts to come around and the bike starts to go from vertical to horizontal.
5. Quickly pull your left leg up to your chest while shifting your weight to your right leg.
6. Simultaneously grab whatever part of the right side frame that is handy and pull.
7. If all has gone well, you are now clear of the road and riding on top of your motorcycle while it's sliding on it's left side.
8. Jump up on your feet, knees bent, keeping feet, hips and shoulders in perfect alignment. Now your surfing boys and girls. If conditions allow, feel free to express yourself in the surf mode. ex. wave to the passing traffic, whirl your bandana in the air, lick your finger and make a sizzling sound when you touch your ***, etc..
9. Dismounts are optional: ride it until you stop; hand spring to a double back flip over an SUV; dismount early and outrun the old lady that cut you off in her Mercedes; grab yourself, whatever, it's your moment.
Thats some funny sh*t right there!

Last edited by streeteagle; 07-04-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 AM
carlofwine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Totally Bored
Funny thread.

Never laid down a bike but I flew over a car one time. I braked as much as I could and went over top of the car. I felt that If I had "Layed the bike down" I would of slammed into the car and I would be dead. ...Just sayin
Either one sucks!, Just sayin.

I've done both, each one with entirely different circumstances. Time and space is everything and no two accidents are ever the same. Still, trying to stay upright and control is the best option. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible

Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never purposely laid down a bike and never will. just my

Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most motorcyclists have heard at least one story about someone who claims he was forced to lay down his bike to prevent a potentially fatal crash. In many cases, however, these stories end with broken bones, head injuries, and totaled bikes. So it's only logical to wonder whether this is truly the best technique for avoiding accidents.

The motorcycles you see today are much more technologically advanced than bikes of the past. In fact, motorcycle brakes were once so bad that riders could often stop better by sliding or tumbling off the bike. Back in those days, practicing how to lay down your bike was actually a standard part of learning to ride.
Here's from the DMV.org Motorcycle Manual off the Internet. Read more here http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/bike-down.php