General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I Lay Me Down...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

The term "lay it down" came from a time before ABS. I don't know exactly when and I won't pretend. It was a method that was (still is by some) Law Enforcement motorcycle academies, despite ABS on most modern bikes.

They idea of scrubbing off speed and reducing impact using proper braking techniques is absolutely the RIGHT answer with today's modern bikes and why teaching the "lay it down" technique is no longer taught. Being aware of your surroundings and going slow are of course the first step to avoiding a collision, but that's not always possible, i.e. deer.

Anymore "laying it down' is generally a cover up story for riders who have lost control of the bike.

Rubber had MUCH better traction than steel, plastic, and the other parts of the side of your bike. Once you hit the ground you have no control where you will end up. However, a going down might be the better alternative than going over a cliff or into a 10-car-pile up.

Proper braking and swerving techniques are the best the best tools you have once the situation arises. Braking techniques include applying both brakes. If the front locks up release it and reapply pressure, if the rear locks up DON'T release it. Also, you can swerve but braking and swerving should be done separately, i.e. scrub off as much speed as possible then swerve.

When in a turn and it's not possible to upright yourself before emergency braking, apply the brakes more slowly, and attempt to straiten your line. Never attempt to swerve AND brake at the same time.

Now since you asked for people with experience, here I am. I have crashed twice in my 10 years of riding, both in the early years. Looking back I could have avoided the crashes even though they weren't my fault. "He was right, dead right, all along. But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong." Both were left hand turning drivers.

How do I know these techniques work? I use them. Just last week I had a guy turn left in front of me. I use the rules of 10. If the speed limit is 40, I drop to 30. This reduces my stopping distance by half. Sounds stupid, but so is hitting a car at 40+mph. It's never made me late, and my brakes haven't worn out. I just down shift or roll off the throttle. I get back on when I'm safe.

Well during this maneuver the guy pulled out and gave me no time to react. Good thing I was prepared. I stopped with a few feet to spare. Had I not slowed, my story would have been a little different. But even then I had scrubbed off so much speed, it wouldn't have been much more than the bike just falling over. I learned from those accidents I had years ago.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who are in the "I had to layer down" camp, here's a few pointers I learned years ago. I highly recommend practicing these steps, so when that moment comes that you have to "layer down", you will encounter few if any problems.

1. Point your front wheel in the direction you want to slide.
2. Stomp on the rear brake to induce a rear tire skid.
3. Use body english to command the sliding rear tire to kick out to the right side.
4. Keep your upper body upright as the rear wheel starts to come around and the bike starts to go from vertical to horizontal.
5. Quickly pull your left leg up to your chest while shifting your weight to your right leg.
6. Simultaneously grab whatever part of the right side frame that is handy and pull.
7. If all has gone well, you are now clear of the road and riding on top of your motorcycle while it's sliding on it's left side.
8. Jump up on your feet, knees bent, keeping feet, hips and shoulders in perfect alignment. Now your surfing boys and girls. If conditions allow, feel free to express yourself in the surf mode. ex. wave to the passing traffic, whirl your bandana in the air, lick your finger and make a sizzling sound when you touch your ***, etc..
9. Dismounts are optional: ride it until you stop; hand spring to a double back flip over an SUV; dismount early and outrun the old lady that cut you off in her Mercedes; grab yourself, whatever, it's your moment.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Ace Hanlon
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine blew over in a storm once. Made a poor decision on where to park for the night. Totally avoidable.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Stunt rider
He should have let go
He should have "layed it down"

Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love how the guy in the third video starts yelling at another motor cycle to "slow down you..." Also, seems to me the third video, the rider panicked before he even goto the curve...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I never intentionally crash anything. I now have a bike that had dual front Nissin calipers rotors and oversize Brembo rear with ABS and stops in about 2/3 of the distance my FXDL did. After owning this setup I would upgrade my next HD to at least a dual front rotor system versus practicing crashing.

Trust me....it is worth every penny of the money invested.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The dumbass in the 3rd video locked his rear wheel in a turn.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 AM
len_atwork
Tourer

I once "laid it down". Too much chain lube and a left hand turn made it very simple. I'm glad I was wearing a helmet, it kept me from hitting my head on the pavement. I wish I was wearing gloves, the road rash was minor, but it hurt when I slapped the ground during the fall.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There's a simple technique for laying your bike down on purpose.

First, remove your brain so there's no chance logic or physics will get involved.

Then, practice saying it with authority, so you can pretend you sound like you knew what you were doing. It seems to help if you do it with somewhat of a southern accent maybe ... something like "Yup! I seen the car pull right out in front of me, so I laid 'er down! Only broke 30 bones. All the cops, EMS's, doctors, surgeons, nurses, other patients and visitors told me if I hadn't laid 'er down, I'd be dead now!"

The actual process of laying it down is very easy, it requires a lack of riding skills. When something happens, **** yourself, panic, and try to lock up both brakes. For good measure, you can jerk the bars all the way over to one side.

The last step is the most fun. Come here and post about it. Tell everyone how you saved your life by crashing.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 AM
FireRider61
Tourer

I have no idea of the precise definition of lay it down i think its more of a phrase bikers use,but i may be wrong but if it is what i think it is im just gonna tuck and roll and pray for the best and hope i see another sunrise

Quick Reply: Now I Lay Me Down...