General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got cut off...went down last weds night

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Irishknight
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got cut off...went down last weds night

i got into a motorcycle accident on weds night.was riding with a buddy,then some lady cut me off..caused me to slame on the brakes,locked them up... then started fishtailing then i went down. slid a good 10-20 feet,amazingly i walked away completley unscathed thanks to the good lord,i have bruises all over my body,my left knee and shoulder still kinda hurt.but are getting better,got a little road rash on my face and left arm(fell on my left side) if it wasnt for me wearing my leather jacket and chippewa engineer USA boots im sure that my foot would of been broken scraped to the bone if it wasnt for my boot.also that my arm would be complety scrapped and possibly broken.the bike mirror broke,dented tank,messed up pegs.bent forks and handlebars. after all that i still completed our ride.so im thankful to be alive and that my bike starts.just gonna be sometime till i have the money to fix it...and im going crazy not being able to ride!also my friends been riding for over 5 years and said he saw the whole thing in his rear mirror said it looked like a hard hit to the ground and that if it wasnt for my riding experience and ability to know how to react. id be in the hospital and possbily dead.so praise the lord that im alive! now just to recover..

Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you hear you're not hurting too bad. Hope you heal up quick.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, that sucks - good that you're basically OK. What ever happened with the woman that cut you off?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Daddie O
Cruiser

Glad you were able to walk away. No insurance to help you fix the bike up I take it?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Damn man, I probably would have went home after that. But, you finished your ride so I guess you are relatively OK. Good thing.

Did the cops come? Did the lady get cited? I am sure her insurance will cover your damages, if she has any.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Irishknight
Advanced

sad thing is she just kept driving off because my friend said she was on the cell phone.i have insurance but probally will just fix it myself because i dont want my insurance to go up or get a point.since i have no proof and the lady just kept driving

Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Locked up the brakes, lost control, and layed the bike down. I am failing to see how your experience helped you except in wearing good boots and a leather jacket. Glad you okay enough to type on the forum but really your night sucked.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Good job conscious or unconsciously, live and learn.

Don't beat yourself up with all the "should'a-could'a-would'a-s" life is like it is, ride on!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Locked up the brakes, lost control, and layed the bike down. I am failing to see how your experience helped you except in wearing good boots and a leather jacket. Glad you okay enough to type on the forum but really your night sucked.
I was kinda thinkin the same thing!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your "ability to react" reminds me of a coworker that says everyone should know how to lay their bike down in a way that it will be between you and the car that pulled into your path. Then you have the option of kicking away.

Rubber on cement will slide a shorter distance than metal on cement. Keep the rubber down.

Quick Reply: got cut off...went down last weds night