General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fill in the blank...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Phadreus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fill in the blank...

Hi all,

Thought I would share a quick story from this week. I work with this guy that I’ve known since ‘95 and he has always loved Harley’s…although never owned one. We would talk about bikes all the time and he would tell me over and over “maybe this year I’ll get one…I dunno, have to wait and see”. Every time he thought he would be able to swing one, something would come up that would prevent him from getting one. One year, he had to replace the motor in his car. The next his wife divorced him. Then his kid needed braces…and so on. It’s been some financial hit after another for him every year since I’ve known him.

To make matters worse, during the summer months, all of us who ride park our bikes out back of our plant in the “motorcycle parking only” area which is directly outside the smoke shack. My friend, being a smoker, would stand out there and stare at all the HD’s lined up, which on some days has been as many as 15 bikes (we only have 150 employees here). He would tell me “I need to stop smoking, it would keep me from standing out there dreaming about bikes all the time”. I would just laugh and tell him “keep the dream alive pal, someday…”. I always felt bad for him, he wore an HD T-shirt to work every day, had HD stickers on his toolbox…but didn’t have one.

Back in 2000, he finally got his wish, bought an HD basket case from a guy in PA. He drove over in his Pickup to get it, and on the way back to OH, fell asleep in his truck, went off the road, flipped over and destroyed the bike in the back. So, he was out of the Harley, and the money he just paid for it. So he was back to dreaming again.

Well, last week he finally bought a bike from another co-worker. He picked up an ’01 Fatboy in Pearl White in immaculate condition. Already has a stage I, lots of chrome and goodies and what not…9k miles, looks great. He is tickled to death, like a kid on Christmas morning. When I talked to him Friday, I couldn’t help but think about how cool it must be for him to have waited for so long, and finally get a bike. He was all smiles.

It got me thinking, I can’t count how many people I’ve known that view owning a Harley as some nearly impossible dream. It’s like the ol’ “someday when I’m rich, I’ll” ___ fill in the blank, and for many it’s “own a Harley”. I guess we all have something to fill in that blank with that is a dream that we know deep down we may never achieve, but does us good to keep dreaming about it. For me, it’s “own a ’65 AC Cobra (or replica)”. I have to say, it was great seeing my friend accomplish his dream.

So, what do you all fill in that blank with?

Last edited by Phadreus; 06-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Midlife79
Tourer

Mine was my bike. Not quite the same story, but I had thought about it constantly since my neighbor came back from the middle east and retired from the service. He and his son both picked up new bikes that week and I wanted in. I come from a family where motorcycles aren't viewed as a great idea. I thought this was a pipe dream that would never happen. A good friend of our died a year ago at the young age of 28. I told myself I didn't want to be on my death bed one day (hopefully a long way off) saying "I wish I had". So i picked up a brand new bike this spring and I don't regret it for a minute - still like that kid on Christmas morning.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,817 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Someday when I'm rich I'll get a third Harley.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
OldIron61
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Got the Bike, now I want my last wish, a 4 Door 3/4 ton long bed pick-up.. only thing I haven't got so far..

Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldIron61
Got the Bike, now I want my last wish, a 4 Door 3/4 ton long bed pick-up.. only thing I haven't got so far..
Go for the one ton!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:04 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Vagabond 42 Center Cockpit Ketch.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984.../United-States

Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Another bike, then another bike, followed by a 4th bike. Seriously I like muscle cars and all but cars are too much of a bitch to work on.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

WW II fighter. Preferably a P-38, but just about any one would do.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 PM
OldIron61
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistmate
WW II fighter. Preferably a P-38, but just about any one would do.
Thanks.. now I have to re-think my last wish... grrrrr

lol

Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 PM
dking909
Tourer

I was in that place few years back. 2 daughters in high school- one wanted to be voted "Best Dressed" in the yearbook. Only thing I was allowed to have in those days was a job and a decent pair of work boots.
Now I have my 97 HP softail, 4 grandkids, my health and a happy wife so I can say "Im good"

Quick Reply: Fill in the blank...