General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations in 109 degree Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Observations in 109 degree Ride

Took a couple of hour ride today in Nashville's record 109 degree temps with my 2011 Limited. Humidity was not as high as it sometimes runs in TN. Bike seemed to handle it OK although I noticed oil temps a bit high and brakes a bit weaker. I kept it moving at highway speed so oil cooler could do its job and air would keep me from melting. Oil temps hit 260 degrees pretty quick and the useless air temp gauge pegged at 120 degrees. Oil pressure dropped to about 28 lbs as oil heated up but did not go any lower. I'm running Mobil 1 20w-50. I did not realize brakes would get weaker in this heat which surprised me during a sudden stop. Thought there might be some tire issues but did not notice any. Have to say the bar controls got a bit hot to the touch. Was drinking lots of water but got to feeling dehydrated so cut the ride short.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

It was 100 here with it feeling like 117. The one thing I noticed was the engine felt a bit low on power. That isn't a total surprise though. ATGATT really sucks on days like these. But it won't stop me from riding.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, this is all pretty encouraging. I was a little concerned about riding today in 100+ temps, but it sounds like the bike should be just fine. Thanks for posting!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Was in Nashville myself then headed back home on I 40 to my exit about 50 miles East..Even at 75 mph the heat from the roadway feels like you are standing in front of a pizza oven..
Lately I have been getting up a 3 am to start my work day around here,and find myself taking a break during the afternoon..Just have never seen things so dry..We need some rain..

Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the desert southwest.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:04 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I'm wondering how the full gear, all the time riders are dealing with this. I see them wearing the full face helmets and riding jacket with glooves. I know it's saver, but I'd passout.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 AM
chamba
Road Master

another story from 109degrees?
saw a bike on the side of the road, so I skipped my light then made a U to pull up behind him. Me the OL and the two boys in the cage.
I offered help and we pushed his RoadKing into some shade at a convenience store.
he was in long sleeves and wearing his club vest patches, he was sweating. I made sure he was good (water/phone/etc).
he had been riding a good distance in the 109degrees and it just shut off at the light. he says prolly overheating cause its air cooled and all. I think so too based on his report, but I did not do any diagnostic at all.
I love to ride in the +100 heat. its no bother to me. Obviously the man that I met is cool with it too. So it raises some overheating questions for me about a Harley that I may not know. How do I know when to turn it off if there is no temp gauge? lets say the heat is on and the traffic forces ya to be stopped more than your bike wants. what tips y'all got for listening to your bike to keep her from overheating?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This time of year I never ride without an insulated saddlebag full of bottled icewater. I stop for everyone I see stranded, car or bike. I may not be able to fix their vehicle and they may already have help on the way but when it's 110° out I've seen grown men cry when I've handed them a bottle of cold water.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 AM
LAMing
Road Master

The High Heat Warning notices at work indicate that during high heat and you're involved in activity (i.e. sweating), you need to take in at least 7 oz of water EVERY 15 MINUTES just to replenish what you're losing. Think about that for a moment.

Bottom line: IF you're going to ride in high heat... TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Was in Nashville myself then headed back home on I 40 to my exit about 50 miles East..Even at 75 mph the heat from the roadway feels like you are standing in front of a pizza oven..
Lately I have been getting up a 3 am to start my work day around here,and find myself taking a break during the afternoon..Just have never seen things so dry..We need some rain..
AMEN ON THAT,ITS BAD DRY HERE IN ARKANSAS,104 YESTERDAY...

Last edited by Dr.ultra2010; 06-30-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Observations in 109 degree Ride