Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 AM
SmokerMI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat suggestions

I have a 04 sportster 1200 and for short rides the seat is bearable. However long weekend rides are uncomfortable.

I would of posted in the sportster section but felt that would of gotten suggestions to replace the seat. I don't know that I want to replace the seat because they can be expensive and it's not like you can just pop one on, try it, pop it off and try the next. Besides thinking of replacing the bike end of year or begining of next riding season.

I have heard that sheepskins help and I've heard that the suspension being adjusted could help. I would like to get thoughts on these and other ideas before replacing the seat.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

exact same thoughts here too, my 2012 sporty 1200c kills my tailbone after about 30 minutes and it's agony to get off the bike for a few moments. I need something that tips me off my tailbone. I still want my seat to be 2 up even though I don't take passengers yet I might, and sometimes I sit on the back if my bf rides my bike (rare but has happened).

Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

www.meancitycycles.com

Allen and his guys can modify your stock seat. Inexpensive and a lot more comfortable. I used to ride a Sportster 1200L. Now a StreetGlide. They modified both seat for me.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
SmokerMI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by uklauren
exact same thoughts here too, my 2012 sporty 1200c kills my tailbone after about 30 minutes and it's agony to get off the bike for a few moments. I need something that tips me off my tailbone. I still want my seat to be 2 up even though I don't take passengers yet I might, and sometimes I sit on the back if my bf rides my bike (rare but has happened).
I too have a passenger seat. It is the tailbone that hurts the most and you're spot on about getting off the bike after 30 or so minutes.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 AM
SmokerMI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
www.meancitycycles.com

Allen and his guys can modify your stock seat. Inexpensive and a lot more comfortable. I used to ride a Sportster 1200L. Now a StreetGlide. They modified both seat for me.
This certainly seems like an option in between a new seat and buying sheepskin. Not sure how likely I'd be to give up my seat during riding season though.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Ockam
Tourer

My wife picked up a Butt Buffer seat pad for her sporty on the way home from Thunder in the Valley. Decent option rather than replacing the whole seat. She said it made the ride a lot more bearable for the 400 mile trip home.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/802-480

Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 PM
SmokerMI
Cruiser

Stopped into a store and mentioned my sore *** and was pointed to gel packs. Anyone ever use them ? any good ?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by SmokerMI
This certainly seems like an option in between a new seat and buying sheepskin. Not sure how likely I'd be to give up my seat during riding season though.
I hear ya. Might want to check on ebay or craigslist for some kind of gel/sheepskin pads till off season to have your seat modified.

You will want to at least call or email meancitycycles to get an idea of time frame, as they do seat by appointments.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a 1200 and tried everything: Sundowner, gel/memory foam, sheepskin, Danny Grey, nothing worked. I am not a big guy (5-11, 170), so I thought I'd be fine on the 1200. I asked the guy who did the gel/memory foam how come I can sit on a hard wooden picnic table bench for hours but my 1200 custom seats kill me. He said a lot of it comes down to width, not softness. The 1200 seat mods couldn't really change the width and still fit the narrow framed bike. At the end of the season I made an obscene offer on a Wide Glide. Done. Now I can ride all day without a single bit of gluteal discomfort.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM
ChicagoWiz
Stage II

For my '05 1200 Custom, I bought a Mustang Vintage Solo and a Wide Vintage pillion for the old lady. Works like a champ. I can ride 7 to 8 hours on the Vintage Solo with great comfort. The Wide Vintage was to make the ride more comfy for my backpack.

Quick Reply: Seat suggestions