General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavenly Blues, The Loser, and Mike...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012 | 01:32 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
|
Club Member
Default Heavenly Blues, The Loser, and Mike...

There was a thread on here a while back about "Easy Rider" and what folks thought of the movie. Someone mentioned "The Wild Angels" in that thread. Last night I was fiddle farting around with the remote and ran across the EPIX channel...didn't know I had it. What is coming on? "The Wild Angels." I don't recall the movie like I do "Easy Rider," but it all came back to me as I watched it, particularly "Blues'" eulogy (Heavenly Blues was Fonda's road name) for "The Loser," the Bruce Dern character who was shot by cops in Mecca, California after stealing a CHP Harley and eluding arrest. "We just want to be free, we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man. We just want to be free and get loaded and have a good time..." was his eulogy, said just before he dumped his pseudo girlfriend, Mike, played by Nancy "Boots" Sinatra and banged another girl behind Loser's overturned casket on the pulput. Oh yah, this, the climax, came during Loser's funeral in a quaint little church in his home town of Sequoia Groves (I think that was the town's name...)

One thing about seeing it again after these so many years is recognizing the advances movie-making has made when it comes to special effects and other aspects of make believe and the changes in Harleys from then to now. To quote that great American philospher, Jerry Garcia, "what a long strange trip it's been..."

Last edited by HaydenHeywoodHayes; 06-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2012 | 01:37 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain

That's funny, after reading that thread i found it on net flix... Also watched angels from hell... Not todays movies, that' s for sure

Old 06-26-2012 | 03:03 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

The closest any of those old movies came to having a budget was "CC & Company" with Ann Margaret and Joe Namath. I have it on DVD and it's pretty good - a better quality version of the early 70's chopper movie. Also, the Born Losers is a good one (the first Billy Jack movie). The Loveless is also a pretty good one, but not 70's - more of an 80's movie set in the 50's.

Most of the others suck so much they're hard to watch - Glory Stompers, Angels Unchained, the Hard Ride, Werewolves on Wheels - not good movies, but worth watching just for the bikes and goofy characters, I guess.

Last edited by brenn; 06-26-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:22 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
|
Club Member

Funny you mention CC & Company...Ann Margaret is my 4th Cousin through her marriage to my blood Cousin, Roger Smith. Unfortunately I never met either of them...

Old 06-26-2012 | 05:45 PM
paud
Road Master

I think I have the soundtrack on an album. yes, vinyl!

Old 06-26-2012 | 05:51 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 06-26-2012 | 07:05 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

I will have you know "Werewolves on Wheels" is truly the highest form of the cinematic artform!!
Cretin!!

Old 06-26-2012 | 07:49 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
The closest any of those old movies came to having a budget was "CC & Company" with Ann Margaret and Joe Namath. I have it on DVD and it's pretty good - a better quality version of the early 70's chopper movie. Also, the Born Losers is a good one (the first Billy Jack movie). The Loveless is also a pretty good one, but not 70's - more of an 80's movie set in the 50's.

Most of the others suck so much they're hard to watch - Glory Stompers, Angels Unchained, the Hard Ride, Werewolves on Wheels - not good movies, but worth watching just for the bikes and goofy characters, I guess.
Plus one on that!

Old 06-26-2012 | 10:33 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise

It is my opinion that "Werewolves on Wheels" was most assuredly surpassed by "Chopper Chicks in Zombietown"

Old 06-27-2012 | 12:36 AM
GeeLP
Intermediate

What I love most about watching the old biker movies (besides checking out the bikes and girls) is noting the gas prices at the service stations the bikers go to or ride by. What is it in "The Wild Angels"? 26.9 cents/gallon? And no EPA!

Quick Reply: Heavenly Blues, The Loser, and Mike...