General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flhtc Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012 | 09:33 AM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate
Default Flhtc Engine Noise

Hi All! I have some engine noise which appears to be coming from lower part of engine. I've watched a few other videos and I'm thinking this could be possibly compensator nut or worn tensioning shoe. This bike is a 1991 flhtc and has 53000 miles on her. I'm having a little trouble pin pointing the exact origination of sound, but again, I'm thinking possibly front of primary. This noise started several weeks ago. I've changed oil hoping that would help some, but it didn't.

I've posted video on YouTube here, so hopefully this link will work: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dbnYSRKiQpw

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Old 06-22-2012 | 09:39 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I would recommend you take a look inside that primary. It's hard to hear the noise (for me anyway) on you vid. Start with the inspection cover (the little square one in the middle of the primary cover). Once removed it will allow you to see and feel the primary chain and tensioner.

Does the noise change when you disengage the clutch (pull the clutch lever in)?

Old 06-22-2012 | 11:04 AM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

I couldn't tell any difference with clutch pulled in. Sounds same in neutral or in gear. Of course more noticeable at idle and low speed. Road noise and pipes seem to drown out at higher speeds. And of course always turn radio on.

Old 06-22-2012 | 11:15 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TorkMan
I couldn't tell any difference with clutch pulled in. Sounds same in neutral or in gear. Of course more noticeable at idle and low speed. Road noise and pipes seem to drown out at higher speeds. And of course always turn radio on.
Just keep the radio up as loud as you can so you don't hear it when the chain case explodes.

Old 06-22-2012 | 11:48 AM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

Thanks for advice on inspection cover IronAss. I'll check it out there first. Hopefully will be able to see something.

Old 06-22-2012 | 12:33 PM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

Well from inspection cover everything appears ok. Tensioning pad has very little wear and chain feels tight enough. Took scope mirror and looked at best I could towards front couldn't see any problems. So I guess only way to know for sure, is just to drop the case. Unless something better surfaces.

Old 06-22-2012 | 12:54 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Taking off the cover and taking a look would be my suggestion, if you are sure it's coming from the primary. Noise has a tendency to travel in a motor. They make a tool kind of like a stethoscope for isolating engine noises but a stethoscope would probably work just as well if you can get hold of one.

Old 06-22-2012 | 02:21 PM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

That tool or stethoscope would be nice, cause it will probably cost me close to $50 bucks just to drop cover by the time I replace gaskets and fluid. Then may not end up finding anything on that side. Well, on a good note, least that will be eliminated..... Sigh

Old 06-22-2012 | 02:39 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

From what I could hear it almost sounds like something is rattling. Have you checked your horn.......seems like it was bouncing around a lot in the video. Or maybe the intake cover is loose.

Old 06-22-2012 | 06:25 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain

try using a wooden dowel.. sometimes using it as a stethoscope can help pinpoint a noise..cheap and worth a try..

Quick Reply: Flhtc Engine Noise