General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flhtc Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012 | 07:42 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Remove the inspection cover from the Primary Cover and check the Primary Chain tension. It's the root of odd sounds and won't cost you any beer money!

Old 06-22-2012 | 11:06 PM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

Ok here's what I've found. Took primary cover off, and was hoping it was just the compensator nut, not, that sucker was tighter than a nats *** stretched over a barrel. Finally broke it free with 2' breaker bar and another 2' cheater pipe. Finally made it to the stator, everything up to that point looks good. I wanted to check stator out anyway, so I went to loosin the 4 screws, and was able to take one out by hand, and the other ones were not all that tight either. I went ahead and pulled stator off crank. The top stator bolt looks like it has wollered the primary crank case assembly hole out a bit. I tried to post picture, but guess I can't do that yet, but any ways, I think I can make it work, possibly put some extra lock tite on that one. I'm thinking I found this noise problem, if not, least I've found something. I'll try to post picture of inner crank case soon and should have all put back together tomorrow sometime. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Sorry for long post, it's been a very interesting experience for me being first time and all. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Old 06-23-2012 | 06:37 AM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

Here's picture of inner crank assembly housing. I originally tried to post picture with phone, but it wouldn't let me for some reason. Got all the icons on desktop and still could not insert picture. So here's link to forums photos:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...oose-bolt.html

Old 06-23-2012 | 07:44 PM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HDmikie
From what I could hear it almost sounds like something is rattling. Have you checked your horn.......seems like it was bouncing around a lot in the video. Or maybe the intake cover is loose.
Hi HDmikie, I wished it was something like that.

Old 06-23-2012 | 07:50 PM
TorkMan
|
Intermediate

So I was hoping maybe the problem I found wit stator was noise, but that wasnt what I was hearing. I stopped by the dealer yesterday before I purchased primary gasket and such, mechanic there said to pull off primary cover as well to check out. So got it all back together today and noise is still there. Got me a stethoscope now. Played with it some, trying to get use to it and the different sounds. I'll be back at it tomorrow.