General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile helmet - DOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
EXACTLY - thanks for the link, awesome comparison.
I have a Vega xts naked, skull crush and the Outlaw low profile.
The Outlaw is as small as the Skull Crush. IMO even though its sold as a Dot, no way would it pass if its ever inspected. Read the whole thread posted above.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
The Outlaw is as small as the Skull Crush. IMO even though its sold as a Dot, no way would it pass if its ever inspected. Read the whole thread posted above.
Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts I have been riding 10 years with a novelty helmet and have yet to be pulled over once for it. So I can assure you where I live the Outlaw Low Profile is indeed more then adequate.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
What are they going to inspect? The DOT certification is valid,and is not in the form of a sticker,it is under the clear coating,and plain to see.They going to pull out a crash test dummy and "certify" it roadside?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twistnride
What are they going to inspect? The DOT certification is valid,and is not in the form of a sticker,it is under the clear coating,and plain to see.They going to pull out a crash test dummy and "certify" it roadside?
Read the other thread. DOT helmets are only dot because the mfg says its compliant. Many have been pulled after they were questioned. Snell helmets are agency inspected. Dots are not. Look it up, its public knowledge.

This is from the DOT site:

DOT certification, however, is less regulated. The manufacturer performs their own tests and determines whether their helmets are DOT approved. Even though the manufacturer doesn't have to report their findings, the government does occasionally conduct limited tests or spot checks. Nevertheless, allowing each company to test their own equipment and not make them report their results means that the DOT certification is done by the honor system.

Here's some more info for you:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...et-recall.html

Also the last DOT test was 2008. Second page has a Outlaw (not the new one) & it failed. How did that happen? Click on the 2008 link.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

So what were you saying?

Last edited by golfblues; 06-23-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts I have been riding 10 years with a novelty helmet and have yet to be pulled over once for it. So I can assure you where I live the Outlaw Low Profile is indeed more then adequate.
I've never been stopped with my skull crush in NY. Just saying just because it says DOT doesn't mean **** if it obviously looks too small. See ACC Head Trip helmets.

Last edited by golfblues; 06-23-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 PM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Again, they made it law 1 1/2 years ago. Our cops in "liberal" (not me) Wa. State are mere "tax collectors". They keep "inventing" new laws to collect the "REVENUE" the Gov's been loosing since the recession started.