General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 10:47 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior

Synth oil definitely makes internet threads run hotter.

Old 06-24-2012 | 11:36 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
A couple things to think about and consider.

All oils are now engineered. Mineral oil has additives that can be as or more slippery than syn. Molybdenum is in energy conserving mineral oil.

An oil cooler will lower oil temps lower than any amount syn over mineral will.

Want a cool running HD then get an AFR of 12.1 to 1. That will run the motor as cool as possible and run stronger and will last longer.

A seven year study of 74 New York cabs using Mobile I showed no reduction in the maintenance repair costs of the engines over the rest of the fleet on mineral oil.

A recent report indicated that the engineering of oils is as far as it can go. Something else is needed to spin things. Compressed air between parts is a suggestion.

Oil is not from dinosaurs it is from sea algae.

I've always said if a person has an engine that's running over 250 degrees, why would you not put on an oil cooler. Folks think they should just use synthetic which can stand higher heat, that is bad logic to me. I don't have the extreme heat issues, probably because the touring models have larger oil capacity.

It's interesting what you said about the cabs, that speaks volumns about the synthetic vs conventional oil debate.

I am done arguing about these false claims. If someone wants to make a statement like "synthetic makes an engine run 20 degrees cooler" then back it up with hard evidence. Lets see some lab data taken under controlled conditions. If it were true, which I don't believe it is, then there will be loads of data out there to prove it.

Old 06-24-2012 | 11:46 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

The only temperature-related studies I found were that the syn retained it's properties longer than mineral oils; the operating temps used in the studies remained constant, around 210 degrees I believe.
And just for clarity, all of the studies I cited were independently conducted to my knowledge; not funded by oil manufacturers.

One thing for sure, it's been a lively debate. Thanks Zeus for your input...

Old 06-25-2012 | 12:27 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
Sorry Blue, I was being a facetious SOB. I didn't mean for that comment to be taken seriously. I should have said "change my blinker fluid" instead of "change my oil filter".
Ah, now don't get me started on Blinker fluid . . . Do you have any idea, just how many differences of opinion among legitimate self appointed pseudo-scientists there could be discussing the various ways of performing a mass spectrometer analysis of Blinker Fluid?

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:50 AM
Jackie Paper
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wild Card
to answer my statement I made.

Take water through a radiator of for a car or whatever, one would have to calculate the BTU's/H needing removed, you could say a 2ft x 2ft radiator with a certain design impeller pump would be fine. Then you add x amount of anti freeze to protect to x temp, now you have to upsize the radiator/coil surface area to compensate for the lack of BTU transfer the glycol has as well as change the pump/impeller design cause now you have a thicker solution.

example in my line of work, if I have a building that requires 500 million BTU's to heat, and 40% glycol is added to protect to 0*F I very well may need 750 million BTU's to perform as needed.

here is a link to the chart from Dow Chemicals showing the numbers for thermo- conductive properties or correction factor's for their product in for a givin application.

https://dow-answer.custhelp.com/app/...-english-units

I am not an engineer, I am not be 100% correct but I am on the right page.

Does this relate to synthetic oil, I have no idea.
Deleted due to inconsiderate statement..sorry

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-27-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2012 | 09:27 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master

My '09, stock 96'er, K&N inlet, Rinehart slip on outlets run 15 degrees cooler with Mobil 1 V-Twin than the other oils I tried first. 90 ambiant temp on Foothills Parkway and Dragon, oil tank temp @ 240 with 3 other synthetics and Mobil runs @ 225. I guess that be ok. Normally wouldn't change oils like that but I did and seem ok now with 1-V Twin.

Old 06-25-2012 | 09:46 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

Why not just install an oil cooler? Really?

Old 06-26-2012 | 06:13 AM
oct1949
Club Member

stg1 to get A/F ratio down from factory EPA setting.
cams and dyno to help even more.
then syn oils..

With all three of this mods my oil temp went from average of 245 to 215.

Also just getting some miles on her helps too.

Old 06-27-2012 | 04:50 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Though we had our man for a while but your last statement blew it. One thing that surprises me is the amount you add to compensate for the glycol. I know after 70% mixture of your typical glycol mix (which already has water in it) the temperature freezing point goes the other way. I have always believed from my studies that how be it small synthetic is somewhat better, like fuel mileage the variables are so small that none of it makes any difference other the the value we get from our social intercourse. However I am 104 Harley years old (63 man years + 41 times of getting the crap scared out of me) and use to believe if you put a bag over a women's head they were all the same but I now do not believe that anymore. Still not sure about the oil however. The ball theory sounded good. You need to try harder.....not sell bigger units--that's just what the boss wants which is OK. However we need the facts. Guess I am just going to break down and ask Dickie...
Nah brother, I am spot on. I even took this very statement to our senior engineer this morning. My sizing was just a # thrown out but not far from the truth of an extreme 50-60% glycol on say a Ice rink chilled water loop. Glycol reduces the ability of the solution to transfer heat greatly, it reduces pump efficiency as well as the coil's(radiator) ability to transfer heat. There are many variables to the equation. Put straight water in a vehicle and the cooling system will work better, but it was engineered to have glycol so therefore all of the above.

Next time you call someone out and come off with a jackass statement you may want to have your facts together. You have no freakin Idea what I do for a living and the resources that are at my fingertips.

Old 06-27-2012 | 05:08 PM
DJA
Advanced

Oil is going to get you 40 different answers from 40 different people. You will have to make your own decision. But here is my observation. I have a 2008 Screaming Eagle Ultra Glide with a 110 C.I. engine. I ran the Harley Syn 3 in it till talking to my favorite Harley Mechanic(about the only one I trust, I have followed him around to 3 different dealerships, if they pull shenanigans, he leaves) and he said I should use AmsOil in the bike. It makes the rear cylinder run 25 degrees cooler. Well I thought "give it a try". I can say this, my bike would go into limp mode sitting at traffic lights in 65 degree weather and Harley would just say "That's Normal" BS. I put Amsoil 20-50 V-Twin oil in and no more limp mode even sitting in traffic or riding in 100 degree weather. All I can say is That Stuff works. I am a believer. Full synthentic for me. I can be sitting at a light or in traffic idling and it is an idle not going into limp mode. Everything else is the same.
That has been my observation.
DJ

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler